1980Z redneck-touring vortec/6spd

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by woody80z28, Feb 22, 2008.

1. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Yes, that's the line out the bottom.

My advice is to schedule 10x longer than it should take. haha And be sure to check alignment to the doors before you body work anything.

More updates to come soon. I'll get some pics together.

2. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Ok, I didn't see that when I first asked the question.

I may be wrong here but to me it looks like you are really bypassing the regulator, I'm say this because you are having fuel come into it from both sides.

3. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    That's how a return regulator works. It bypasses fuel out the return to keep the fuel pressure set.

The pump creates pressure, and all the fuel between the pump and the regulator return are hydraulically the same pressure. That's how the GM in-tank regulators function. The entire feed line is pressurized because the regulator doesn't bleed any fuel out the return until the feed pressure is met and overcomes the spring.

4. hot72rod

I understand that but it look like you are feeding the regulator from both the inlet and out let. I didn't think you could do that.

5. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Nope. Both side ports are pressure side and the bottom is return. Routed it similarly with my carb setup before.

6. hot72rod

7. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Crap. Forgot to get the pics of my hood hinges. Got a bunch on my phone but it won't hook up to the computer. I'll do that part later. But...they work AWESOME.

Made a date with my body guy to get this damn thing painted! And he's running behind schedule...so I'll post these for now. But it's in queue. I have the body work done to basically the best of my ability and he's going to finish everything up perfect and spray it. (I did my Beretta last year and a couple spots that I thought were perfect showed slight flaws a few months after fresh paint).

I really like how the fender vents came out. It was difficult to get a good decreasing radius bend that was smooth. My old landlord has an English wheel that I used and that's pretty tedious, but it worked ok.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FatnLow likes this.
  8. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I also got my rear bumper project done. It's something I've thought about for quite a while. It has always driven me nuts that the bottom of the rear bumper isn't on the same plane as the bottom of the quarter. I photoshopped it to match and it looks so much better. So I cut up the stock one to try it out and fit a basic rear diffuser idea to match the aero package I'm going to do in a year or two.
    [​IMG]

I was happy with the results, so I bought a Glasstek rear bumper and cut it up. I used the car as my jig and some ABS sheet as a backer to slop some kitty hair on it and make it one piece again. I also made some studded steel plates to eliminate the metal "straps" for the urethane bumper ends and duraglassed them in. Then I took it off the car, removed the self tappers and peeled the ABS off and hit it with fiberglass cloth and resin to give it some strength.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really like the "fatass" look. I think it helps with the really short and wide back end. I also like how the metal strap delete cleans it up. I got a 12" LED bar that will serve as the reverse lights right above the license plate and it can tint the whole taillight lens smoke red which will work with my "amber delete" tail idea. I also welded a much better mount for my kill switch than the one I cobbed when I was 20. haha. I'm going to make a license plate holder/trim piece out of ABS that looks much better when the plate is off and the switch is exposed.
    [​IMG]

9. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    That rear bumper looks outstanding.

Have you thought about exhaust outlet location? Curious as to where you're planning on putting exit location and design.

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Rear profile of the car looks great. Good work on that bumper.