1980 z28 will not turn over

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Master Cole X2, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Master Cole X2

Master Cole X2 New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    hello just traded for my first 2nd gen Camaro. Has an original 350 sbc. The car will not turn over. had the starter checked and put in a new battery. When I turn the key to "on" i hear a loud "hmmmmm" but when i turn the key over to start the car, the sound stops and nothing, no sound what so ever, doesn't turn over. now for some reason my blinkers come on and my headlights sometimes. Also my gauges do nothing as well. Once the key is back in the on postion the sound comes back, till i turn the car off. I believe it might be a wire powering the starter (purple if im right) that might be burned by the headers, and shorting out. I was wondering if im the right track, and would like to know if there are reasons this might be happening.

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    First off, are you sure the engine isn't locked up? It sounds like a silly question but a stuck engine won't budge. I'd get a remote starter switch and hook it to the small terminal on the starter. If the starter will engage and the engine will crank over, then you need to trace the wires back. If the wire is shorted out on the headers, that will cause the issue.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    The fun begins Welcome. The Hum, Is there an electric fuel pump installed? What is the fuel system Carb or some type of F/I. Everyone here likes pic's so shoot a bunch and post them of under hood and all around. You should be able to roll the engine over by hand by turning the balancer pulley. If it does that's good news. If not try pulling all your Spark plugs and try again. I had a truck lock up due to head gasket leak. Water filled a cylinder and it would not budge till I pulled the plugs and forced the water out the plug hole. Hope that is not the case. Probably a wiring issue. Time to start trouble shooting. Good luck.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The hum with the key on is likely a fan. It could be the heater fan or if the car has any other electric fan added, it could be that. Find out what that noise is first. The fact that the hum stops when you attempt to start the car indicates that the voltage is dropping. That points at bad battery cables or bad battery. Check those things first with a voltmeter as they are easy to check.

5. Master Cole X2

Master Cole X2 New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Well, its not any wiring issue, got the starter to work but it will not turn over, i hear a "thod" and a very quit wining. Now i have tried to hand turn the engine but to no succuse. The engine was rebuilt "not by me" so im not sure how high the compression is. so going to take out the spark plugs and try. Now i do have a couple thoughts. 1. starter is not strong enough to turn it over, owner before told me it was turning over slower and slower then stopped, but not sure how honest this man is. and 2. engine is seized and needs a rebuild. any other ideas you guys might have. there is no wiring issue, starter was hooked up wrong, and fixed that now.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    "turning over slower and slower". That could be either a seized engine or a starter wearing out. If you determine first that the engine either can or can not be turned by hand, then look at the starter if necessary.

7. ol' grouch

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    I had a partially seized engine that I could crank by hand but it was hard. Eventually, it locked up altogether. The bearings on the connecting rods at the crank seized.

8. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    On 1980 doesn't the fan automatically come on every time you turn the key some kind of window defrost feature thought I read that somewhere and it does it on my 80 that is still factory wiring as far as I know.

9. ol' grouch

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

In 1971 or '72, the heater fan would come on at low speed to keep a slight positive pressure on the cabin to keep exhaust gasses out. I think GM kept that for many years. I don't know if they still do that but it was the way they built them back then.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    My 74 Chevy truck does that too.