1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I know the feeling, the fuel pump went out on my bird, well I picked up a new one and it road around in the truck with me for about a week. I was finally about to stick it in the shop on the work bench in front of my car and it set there for about 3 year because of all the hours I was putting in at my last job. When I changed jobs I decided to go a different route with the car so I have been working on it just about every week for the last year and half up until 3 weeks ago.

2. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Haha, best one was in 2009, I was installing lights outside my garage door. The receipt taped to the box was dated 4/1/1999. I knew they were on the shelf for a while but 10 years??? Add to that I had bought them on April fools day.

Today I crawled under my car for the first time in a long time. I was happy to find out that the sub frame connectors that are welded to the rear framework look to be in good condition. They are made of a 2 inch by 3 inch straight piece of tubing. I was planning on 1 1/2 inch by 3 inches if I was going to build them myself. I can live with the extra half inch. I plan on adding the offset to them like the Hotchkis connectors. That will eliminate the step between the sub frame and the connectors. Now I have to make the repair washers for the rusted out sub frame mounting holes. I have the solid mounting spacers ready to go in.

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    LOL - I think we are most of us are guilty of putting one thing or another off

4. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Since Bandit723 showed pictures of how it's done, I made the frame repair washers and welded them on.

[​IMG]

This is an aluminum solid mounting donut from the 6 piece set that I bought.

[​IMG]

5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Good work! - welds look really nice

6. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Thanks! I had to dust off some high spots so the spacers sit flat on the washers. Next I have to bolt the frame onto the body so I figure out where the front of the frame connectors have to sit. Then I can get over that hurdle.

7. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I moved the sub-frame to the front of the car and slid it under. The engine hoist to the rescue to lift the frame into place.

[​IMG]

The sub-frame connectors did not line up to the frame and they are too long. The frame I removed from the car had been cut to fit. Add to that all of the welded remains from the original connection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to cut off the front ends of the connectors and fabricate new ends. I would have cut farther back but I need to get to the top side to weld them back together.

[​IMG]

I went to the local steel supply house and they were closed. If I am going to progress I will have to clean up the parts I cut off to reuse them.

[​IMG]

With the sub-frame connectors out of the way, I lined up the frame to the alignment holes and installed the bolts. One rear mounting hole was a bit off center so I used a jack to spread the frame half an inch, then tightened the mounting bolt. With the frame in place I can work on the connectors.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Glad you were able to get the frame in ok - underside of the car looks to be in good condition as well. was this thing manufactured at the California GM plant?

9. iraqivet

iraqivet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Hobart, Indiana
  10. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    This was a Norwwod car assembled 4th week of April. Thanks to a leaky engine, the underside is nicely preserved.