1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I was able to get more done on the car the last 2 weeks. The sandblasting turned out great. All clean and rust free. I see the mounting holes need some work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hung it on the engine hoist to prime and paint it.

[​IMG]

Then I started on removing the suspension and frame from the car.

[​IMG]

Lower control arms saved for last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the control arms gone, now it's time to remove the frame. Only problem is that it has weld in subframe connectors.

[​IMG]

At last, with some constructive use of the torch, the frame is off.

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Gotta love using the 'hot wrench' on parts that are being reluctant to being removed!

3. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    After I removed the sub-frame, I noticed that it was cracked in half through the rear mounting holes. There was bracing welded over the cracks, and then undercoating sprayed over that. I think it cracked because of the combination of rubber mounting doughnuts and weld-in connectors. The connectors are solid and the frame can move. Even a small amount of movement will crack the metal in time. I am going to use solid frame mounts and extra bracing between the frame and connectors.

4. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I started sorting out all of the front suspension parts. I have double of everything and choosing the best parts for the car. I took the bushings out of the good control arms, had them blasted, then primed and painted them. Looks like they need a little touch up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the spindles ready to blast. I have a good set of rotors but they are rusty. I can't decide if I want to blast the rotors or just buy new ones. The rusty ones measure 1.030 with a lot of meat left on them.

5. strangesorceror

strangesorceror New Member

convertible top fastener on top of window

hi, great looking project. can you tell me what kind of fasteners are on top of the windshield that hold the soft top? trying to figure out where to get them to replace mine. thanks

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Its an Interesting project.I belong to a Camaro club in the Seattle area. And have only seen two of the convertibles around. Don`t worry how long the build takes you. Remember this is a hobby .And we do it as time and money will allow. So good luck on your build

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  7. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Looks like I have not been here for over 2 years. Yes, I am alive, and YES, the convertible project is still alive. I have done some work organizing parts and cleaning out the car. I have oiled and rotated the engine crankshaft a couple of times to keep it in good health. In the last month, I installed a Mr Heater Big Maxx heater in my garage. This will do a much better job than the non-vented heater that I was using. I am going to try to install the sub-frame and get the sub-frame connectors fabricated and welded in before the end of winter.
    The project came to a halt in spring of 2014 when I took some parts to the sandblast company. I went to blast the spindles and was told that they were too greasy to put in the blast cabinet. I did not think so, got pissed, and left. When I got home, I unloaded the parts from my car and that is where they still sit right now. It is like time froze for 2 1/2 years. Time to move on.

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Can appreciate how quickly time fly's on ones projects. After I had my new garage built I let the landscaping go for 3 years. sure the neighbors really appreciated that. just finally got it done this fall. I guess my Camaro took the priority :)

9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Looks like those are custom made for the conversion. Have to find someone to fabricate them.

10. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I took my parts "pile" and organised into groups for the different areas of the car.

[​IMG]