1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    A bit more work done in the last two weeks. I finished the choke on the carb and put a 700R4 cable adaptor on it too. I bolted on the intake, water pump, alternator, fuel pump, and thermostat housing. Valve covers would be on but 4 of the Trans Dapt spreader bars were stamped upside-down. Sharp edge was up, not down like they are supposed to be. I am going to use the stock exhaust manifolds and have to take the rusted studs out of them before paint. I also had to get a second set of gaskets for spacers because the manifolds hit on the ARP head bolts.
    Snow is almost gone here so I can drag my spare subframe down from by the shed. Then I have to decide whether to use the one on the car or do a swap. The two arms that extend forward have been straightened, and not very well I might add. If I can do a better job, I will. I am going to avoid the swap if I can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    motor looks great man!

3. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Thanks Matt!! I think I set a record... working on the car the longest without getting side tracked on something else. I do plan on extending the record much longer.
    I read some of your progress thread. Your car is looking good. Keep up the good work!!

4. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Ive been trying to get things together for my build. The plan is this weekend to get the motor together. We will see. I will still have to order the push rods this week but i can get everything else on. Thanks for the words.

5. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Be sure you don't do like I did, ordered everything at once, and then read the instructions for the heads. The E-Street heads require pushrods .100" longer than original. I had to go to the local speed shop and get the correct ones. It's bad enough paying for this stuff once, but twice??? Haha, I threw the box away from the first ones... no return.

6. JasonZE

JasonZE Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2009
    NewZealand
    Good advice you are by no means alone on that one:whine:

7. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    I hear ya man. I got a retro roller cam so i have to measure my push rods since the lifters are taller and the heads arnt stock lol.

8. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Beautiful engine Mike. That intake looks brand new!

9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Thanks Charlton!!

I wonder how many people order the E-Street heads and a roller cam. That is another reason to read the fine print.

10. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I removed the old studs from the exhaust manifolds and sand blasted them. I installed the new studs and will coat the manifolds with Calyx manifold dressing. I used it years ago on my 67 and it worked great. I ordered a set of header flanges to use as 1/4 inch spacers between the heads and the manifolds because they will not fit otherwise.

I was able to get to the sub frame that has been sitting in my yard for 10 years. I had to cut a few small trees to get it out. I found out that it does no good to put air in the tires if the wheels don't turn. :mad: It looks to be in real nice condition. I am going to strip it of parts and have it sand blasted.

It is till cold here, just waiting for spring time weather. A week into April and forecast for next week is high temps in the 30's and 40's and rain most of the week.