1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

  1. 1981zapper

    1981zapper Veteran Member


    Scotchbrite is pretty abrasive and will annihilate your rings/walls/lifter bores
     
  2. indyzmike

    indyzmike Veteran Member

    542
    1
    Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Hi Chris, I did some checking around on the use of Scotchbrite on engine parts. I found that some mechanics were using Scotchbrite wheels on a drill or die grinder to clean gasket surfaces on assembled engines. Residue was getting into the engines and doing lots of damage as you stated.
    It should be perfectly fine to use Scotchbrite, emery cloth, sand paper, honing stones, lapping compound, or grinding bits on engine parts that can be washed and fully cleaned of the abrassive residue before assembly.

    I have heard that using lapping compound on soft metals can leave abrassive residue embedded into the metal, even after a good cleaning.

    Back to the progress: I found the missing main bearing half and assembled the crankshaft into the engine. I used Plastigage and had .002" on all of the mains. I found that the upper rear main bearing oil hole did not line up with the hole in the block. I used a rotary carbide bit to slot the hole in the bearing to make it match the hole in the block. The front main oil hole was off a little too but not enough to cause a problem.
     
  3. motionwannabe

    motionwannabe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Cool project!! Good luck with it:bowtie:
     
  4. indyzmike

    indyzmike Veteran Member

    542
    1
    Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Thanks motionwannabe!!!

    I warmed up my credit card again and ordered a set of Summit Racing flat top pistons, Melling oil pump and pick-up, valve covers, and a timing cover. The flat top pistons solve two problems, no more scuffed piston, and bumps my compression back up to over 9 to 1 with the Edelbrock aluminum 70cc heads I already have. The stock pistons were dished with a 10cc volume. the new ones have a 6cc volume with the 4 valve reliefs.
     
  5. Bent wang

    Bent wang Member

    81
    0
    Dec 24, 2012
    sask canada
    Wang dont care how a blonde get blonde. same with convertible

    WANG
     
  6. indyzmike

    indyzmike Veteran Member

    542
    1
    Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I was determined to get some engine work done this weekend, and I did. Stayed home all weekend and wrenched. I swapped pistons on the stock rods and installed them on Saturday. I put the oil pump in too. I dont like the stupid Summit logo on the jugs, but I probably will never see them again. On Sunday, I put in the cam, timing chain, heads, lifters, rockers, and pushrods. Enough for now.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I went with the Proform covers.

    [​IMG]
     
  7. indyzmike

    indyzmike Veteran Member

    542
    1
    Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I had a full day at home today and was able to warm up the garage to 70, enough to paint. Two quartz lights helped to heat the block. Next i have to glass bead the Edelbrock Performer and install it.

    [​IMG]
     
  8. indyzmike

    indyzmike Veteran Member

    542
    1
    Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    The last week and a half I have been working on getting my new air compressor hooked up, and getting my blast cabinet up and running. The compressor is a Quincy 5hp, 60 gallon, 175psi, with a 4 cylinder pump. I installed a 50 amp outlet off of the sub panel in the garage. The compressor only needed a 30 amp circuit but I might get a bigger welder in the future. The blast cabinet is a Craigslist find. For $100 I got a Central Pneumatic floor standing cabinet, like what they sell at Harbor Freight. It was in real nice condition and looked like it was barely used. The inside of the cabinet still had it's full coat of paint. Only the flourescent light inside did not work well. I bought a couple light sockets and some 60 watt equiv. output compact flourescent bulbs. I installed them in plastic peanut butter jars so when the jar gets foggy, I can screw on a new jar.

    The first job for the cabinet was the Edelbrock Performer intake that was on my car when I got it. It was almost all black with dirt and grease. I cleaned it with hot water and dish soap, but it was still pretty bad. I found a thread here that said to try Eagle One mag wheel cleaner. It is more or less a bottle of acid. I got a bottle and did 3 or 4 soakings and rinses to no avail. Here is what the manifold looked like at this point.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Then I took out the black oxide media that came with the cabinet, and put in some glass bead media that I got at Harbor Freight. I blasted on the manifold about two hours and still had some areas that were stained and dirty. I took the glass beads back out, put the black oxide back in, and blasted some more. Even though the finnish looked dull, the manifold came clean. It was a uniform dull grey. I switched back to the glass beads and that woke it up. OMG, I was impressed. Here are the results.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Next is the alternator. :D
     
  9. L_celle

    L_celle Veteran Member

    332
    0
    May 20, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Very nice! I need to do my intake too. If it looks half that good, I'll be in good shape.
     
  10. indyzmike

    indyzmike Veteran Member

    542
    1
    Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Not too much progress to report as I was gone for a week for work. Since I got the intake done, I decided to work over the old Holley 1850-3 carb. It did not get as clean as I would like but I plan on going with EFI in the future. It was clean inside and only required new gaskets, float valves, and a power valve. Now I have to convert the manual choke to automatic.

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page