1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I worked on the garage ceiling this weekend to get it sealed up for winter. I put 7 sheets of drywall and insulation up and have about 10 more to go.

I also placed an order for some engine parts. I ordered some Edelbrock aluminum heads #5073, an Edelbrock cam #2102, gaskets, timing set, rockers, head bolts, and pushrods. I am going for idle to 5,500 low end power and tourque so the car can be a good cruiser. I do not need a street/strip car, I just like to cruise.

2. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Merry Christmas to all NastyZ28 members and visitors. I got all the stuff I ordered from Summit. The aluminum heads look great. I put another 5 sheets of drywall up in the garage. I should be close to done with the ceiling in a week. Then I can heat the garage without heating the neigborhood. It's getting down to 17 degrees F tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  3. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Merry Christmas! This is gonna be a awesome car when finished!

4. Denm

Denm Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    did these cars have subframe connectors or something similar put on them when they were built?

5. 2ndGen4Me

2ndGen4Me Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Southern California
    Yes

:cool:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  6. The81CamaroZ28

The81CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Did they actually make convertibles from the factory? .... I've always thought that they were custom jobs.

7. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    They are aftermarket done. From companies like Choo Choo Customs.

8. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    All of the Camaro convertibles, 1979 to 1981 were aftermarket. One conversion by NCE or National Coach Engineering was availiable through the GM dealer. There were many different conversion companies at the time because of the shortage of factory convertibles. For more history, see the WIKI on coach convertibles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_convertible

9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Hi DENM, all of the conversions that I know of had weld in subframe connectors. The roof is a major support structure of the car. Something has to replace that support when you saw the roof off.

10. The81CamaroZ28

The81CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Interesting. I would never do it to my car, but it's a neat idea. I'd be interested in seeing someone build a convertible pro-touring car.