1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Denm

Denm Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    got any more pics of the car?

2. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    Is your car a convertible? Those are pretty rare...

3. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I have made some progress in cleaning the garage and basement. I have so much clutter that watching the hoarders show wakes me up to what it can turn into. In the 5 years that I have not worked on the car, I had to clean out my grandparent's house and sell it, and clean out my dad's house and sell it. Add to that a divorce, and I ended up with a ton of extra stuff around the house. It got overwhelming and I gave up.

I saw how bad keeping too much stuff can be and I got motivated. I didn't have a problem with keeping the house clean, just a lot of clutter and piles of stuff in the basement and garage. The Camaro, being a convertible without an interior, was a great place to store stuff too. Well, I am happy to say that the car, garage and basement are almost cleaned out. Now I can get around in the garage to put up the drywall and insulation.

[​IMG]

4. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    This model is almost the look that I am going for. The grill and hood scoop are going to be painted black and I am putting black Z28 wheels on the car. I am also going with a tan interior because black is wayyyy too hot in a convertible.

[​IMG]

5. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    Good luck with your project! I like the hurst shifter you got in there, you are gonna keep it with your conversion?

6. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi

Thanks, I will keep the shifter.

7. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    No need to wait another 5 years for an update, I did some work on the car today. I went into the garage to work on puting drywall on the ceiling. Once I looked at the car for a bit, I felt the need to do some work on it instead.

I pulled the left fender, wheel well, the core support, radiator, carb, intake, and heads. I found a few surprises. One water pump hole was almost plugged, and a valve retainer was half way out. I did find some small holes in the head gaskets that were plugged with blue RTV too. All else looked good. I am going to pull it all the way apart and go through the whole engine.

Too bad that the front end sheet metal and frame are bent up from an accident. The frame was pulled back straight but still looks wrinkled and twisted. I will replace it with one I have from a parts car. I do like that there is very little rust and the bolts come right out of everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I just subscribed, it looks like it will be an interesting project for sure. I'm hoping to get started on my project car in depth in the next month. First I need to make some money so I'm currently sitting on a boat offshore Brazil right now!

9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Hi Da-bigguy, it is interesting. I never know what I am going to find while taking it apart. It also brings back memories, my last car restoration was in the 80's. That was a 1967 Camaro RS convertible. Good luck with your job and your project car.

10. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks, the job should be fairly straight forward and so far has mostly been standing by waiting for the weather to go down so we can get started. I can imagine the surprises found when taking a car apart! I hope I don't have too many on mine although since it is already mostly apart, having no interior, engine or transmission there many not be too many left to be found! That may not be the case on my next project, a convertible car like yours but mine is a 1977 MG Midget that has been in the family since new. Anyways, looking forward to seeing the progress on your convertible!