1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I had some time to look at the Hurst dual gate shifter that came out of my car. It looks like it was not used in the manual gate section of the shifter very much. There is not much play in the slider mechanism and even has some grease on the wear surfaces yet. It is going to require a good cleaning and lubrication before it is usable. The bezel for the console is trashed so I ordered a new one before they are no longer available or double in cost, again.

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Glad to hear the shifter still can be brought back to life.

3. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I got the bezel for the dual gate. Good quality, but now I have to figure out how to adapt it to a 4 speed trans or find something different that will work. I might go with a B&M without the console. I like the looks of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now if my old daily driver Toyota decides to stop needing attention, I can continue on the Camaro. I started to clean the cowl area. Some of the surface rust will need to be treated but it is not bad at all. Next, on to the firewall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
  5. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Had a good day of working on the car. I removed the dash wiring and the inside air/heater box. After wire wheeling the front floors and inside firewall, I decided to order a pair of toe boards. I repaired the passenger side once, but I can do a better job. I then welded a flex crack in the tunnel just behind the shifter mounting holes. That was caused by the failure of the sub-frame connectors. After a trip to the supply house to get another bottle of welding gas, it's 3:00 pm, time for bed so that I can go to work later tonight. Have to help supply the world with lots of V-twin engines.

6. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I got the new toe boards and had to decide how much of the floor to cut out. I purchased the sheet metal from Classic 2 Current Fabrication from their Ebay store.

[​IMG]

I cut around the rusty parts to remove the bad section. I had to air chisel the spot welds where the toe board was welded to the support structure under the floor.

[​IMG]

With the section removed, I cleaned the support structure and applied a coat of Rustoleum. While the paint was drying, I started whittling the new piece down to size.

[​IMG]

After fitting the new piece, I spent a few hours making dot welds. The part was not a perfect fit but it was easily worked to match the opening.

[​IMG]

It turned out OK, it could have been better. Now to move on to the passenger side.

7. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I talked to Shiftworks and was told that they do not make a conversion for the shifter. What they do have is a shorter throw arm and matching bracket that goes on the transmission. This should make the dual gate work with the 700R4. Since I had ordered the conversion kit to work with the factory shifter, I allready have the parts that should work with the dual gate. Thanks Bandit723 for the suggestion!

8. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I gave the floor a good coat of gloss black Rustoleum and let it dry.

[​IMG]

I followed that with a couple tubes of seam sealer and I am waiting for that to dry. I started with some Permatex roof sealer and found out that it takes a week or two to dry. I returned the rest of what I had and got some tubes of Dap asphalt roof sealer. It looks like it will work good. I used an old parts cleaner brush to lay it into the seams. Once that is dry, I am going to apply a second coat of Rustoleum over the whole works.
    While the sealer is drying, I started the job of cleaning the underside of the car. It has a good coat of engine oil and dirt all the way back to the rear axle. I tried a bucket of hot water and some 409 spray but it would not cut it. I switched to mineral spirits and paper towels to dissolve the thick stuff. Then I followed with the 409.

[​IMG]

Now I know what I will be doing with my spare time the rest of the week.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Oh...this will take you a bit, it's nasty.....don't fall a sleep under the car like I did :rolleyes:

10. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I am doing a great job of avoiding the underside of the car. I worked on a couple of other projects for a week and then cleaned the garage while it was warm out. There were some pieces of roll bar that had to be sawed and ground off in the rear corners of the floor. With that gone, I put down the second coat of gloss black Rustoleum on the drivers side floor. Enough paint fumes until later.