1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    It was a waste of a perfectly good gas tank and sender. I wish there was a drain to remove 100% of the gas. Maybe the thing to do on a new gas tank, weld on a 1/4 inch threaded bung for a pipe plug.

2. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Made more progress by taking more of the car apart. I stripped the parts off of the cowl and firewall. Then I crawled inside and tore into the dash. I admire the work it took to cover the interior in suede, but it is not my style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found stereo dash speakers!!!

[​IMG]

I even found a cigar that had fallen into the defroster many years before I owned the car.

[​IMG]

I found some cross threaded bolts and lots of broken plastic on the dash and the heater box. Not much to salvage but I have good replacement parts for most of it. Next task is the dash wiring.

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Well at least the dash wasn't lime green shag carpeting - what shifter do you have? doesn't exactly look like a stock GM offering. Factory GM surface rust looks like it has held up as well.

4. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    The shifter is a Hurst dual gate. I see that they are no longer availiable through Summit. Hurst probably quit making them. Might not work with the 700R4 anyway.

5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    That's what I thought at min don't throw it out.

6. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I would like to use it because I do not like the look of the factory tulip style shift knob. I will have to see if it can be converted or traded for one for a third gen. I see that they are $600 new. The one I have is pretty rough.

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Should be able to rehab this just not sure if it can be converted to a 4 speed 700R4

8. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Just sitting here as the second snow storm in two days is just starting. Temps dropping to -15F tomorrow. I want to go out and work on the car but decided to put the truck into the garage. Camaro on the right, tools and stuff on the left, and the truck right in the middle. That leaves no room to work. Garage is only 4 inches longer than the truck. I will resume the work next week. Getting some work done, like shampooing the living room carpeting and restoring a railroad block signal. All this while reruns of Two Guys Garage and My Classic Car are on in the background.

9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I was tired of smelling the old gas tank from in back of the house so I got rid of it. With the warmer weather, I was able to fill it with water and air chisel a 1 foot by 1 foot hole into the top of it. Scrap yard will not take it if it is an explosion hazzard. I took it to the scrap yard where they can enjoy the aroma of the 13 year old gasoline.
    The truck is back outside and I have room to work on the car once again.

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Back in the day I worked for Kirchhayn Auto Salvage in Cedarburg. they would take anything. Glad you were able to find a home for the gas tank.