1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Thanks!

2. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    After staring at the ends of the frame and the sub-frame connectors, I decided on how I am going to mate them together. I pulled the frame back out. Then I cut the ends of the frame off square.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I found some 1/4 inch thick brackets to make end plates.

[​IMG]

I made the plates to fit the ends of the frame and welded them on.

[​IMG]

To make it a bit stronger, I am going to fill in the gap on the bottom behind the rear mounting bolt. This will spread the load from the connector farther forward instead of most of the load being on the bottom corners.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]

3. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Did some more work today and got the ends of the sub-frame boxed. Now I have to temporarily install the Sub-frame back into the car. Another thing on the "to do" list is to drop the gas tank to see what the 14 year old gasoline has turned into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Am interested as how you get these to mate up. Have seen a number of connecters that were welded poorly and or not easily removable. as to the gas tank I suspect you will not like what you find. Mine was nasty I went and replaced it.

5. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Bandit 723, I am using the 1/4 inch plate as an interface to connect the two different size sections of rectangular tubing. The welding has turned out OK so far but these connectors are not going to be removable with out a torch or sawzall. The roof is permanently removed so the sub-frame connectors have to be permanently installed.

6. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I put the sub-frame back into the car and bolted it up. I took the pieces of connector that I cut off, cleaned them up for re-use, and fit them to go between the sub-frame and the connector. The pieces were then tack welded to the sub-frame. Then I pulled the sub-frame back out to weld the pieces to the 1/4 inch plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the sub-frame goes back in, the stubs will be welded to the connectors. I think I will hire a professional welder to do that. I do not have the skills to do the vertical and overhead welding or a big enough welder to crank it up and burn it in. The sub-frame and the body need to be cleaned and painted before that happens. This is how the connector lines up to the sub-frame.

[​IMG]

7. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I really like how you boxed it and installed those, nice job. I wish I would have done something similar with mine, looks like it well hold up really well.

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Keep forgetting this is a convertible - Nice work on the metal fabrication.

9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Thanks for the support!!! Did some more work today cleaning the garage before making another mess. I dropped the gas tank and found what I expected.... root beer... stinky root beer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    That's nasty - especially out of such a nice looking tank