1980 Z28 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by indyzmike, Oct 24, 2007.

1. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I bought my 80 Z28 a few years ago, towed it home from Long Island to Milwaukee, and parked it in the garage. I bought a couple other cars for parts. Then I replaced the gas tank and rear axle. I lost ambition and the work stopped. I only collected a few parts over the last two years. I have finally started working on the car again.
    I am working on the mechanicals first, then the body, interior, and last, the top. I pulled out the broken A/C box under the hood, pulled the right front sheet metal, and ordered a crossmember and shifter conversion to go with the new 700R4 I ordered yesterday. I need to stick with it this time. Wish me luck. Mike

2. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ohio
    Keep us posted. We like progress pics too!:bowtie:

3. JIMS Z

JIMS Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Dumfries, NB, Canada
    You've got my best wishes...I know the feeling about drifting away, for whatever reason. Taking my car apart is the easy part, I've had some prioriities that keep me away from re-assembly.

4. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    It took me 13 years to finish my 67 RS convertible(1978 to 1991). I have to set a new personal speed record on this one. Maybe 4 or 5 years???

I will get some pics in a couple days. Not much to see. Just another 2nd gen needing a restoration.

EDIT: What am I thinking??? I bought it almost 6 years ago!!! (4 or 5 years, yea, right)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  5. April81Z28

April81Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Eldersburg, MD, USA
    Don't feel bad - a guy in my Camaro club just finished the restoration on his 1970 Chevelle. It only took him 17 years!

6. Paul1979

Paul1979 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Treasure Valley
    Regardless of the condition, send some pics of the progress. Seeing someone else's project coming together is always nice to see, regardless of the number of years it takes.

7. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi

Here are some pics of the progress:

Nice suede dash pad... YUCK!!!

[​IMG]

New exhaust... parts from PYPES, Walker, and Dynomax

[​IMG]

Rust hole from convertible top leaking inside of car.

[​IMG]

Sorry mousie, the house has got to go.

[​IMG]

Coated with rust neutralizer and painted semi-flat.

[​IMG]

I got my shifter converter from Shiftworks and got a call that my 700R4 is ready for me to pick up. Still waiting for the crossmember. Time to attack the rust hole in the floor today. Mike

8. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    WTF.... 2007.... I could almost cry. Has it been that long?

Can a mod please move this thread to Project Progress where it belongs.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  9. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Well I guess I am going to resume work once again. I got into hovercrafting about the same time that I bought the car. Hovering took over and has been fun but not the same as it used to be. I sold the hovercraft in July and have been gearing up for work on the car.
    I have the 700R4, the crossmember, and the have the hole in the floor welded up.(five years ago)

I plan on pulling the remaining front fender and the core support. The engine and trans come out next.

I am doing some updating to my garage to make working on the car easier. A new insulated steel garage door is installed and a new window is on order. I am drywalling and insulating the whole garage. The new ceiling joists are all installed. They are now on 16 inch centers instead of 48. A new 50amp 220 breaker box is installed. I also added four new 20 amp outlets. I have a new set of lights ready to install too. A new 60 gallon 5hp compressor is waiting to get wired in. I bought an engine stand and an engine hoist. I lifted the car and slid in a set of wheel dollies. Now I have a four day weekend to keep busy. Feels good to be back once again.

10. buckeye79

buckeye79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Crestline, Ohio
    And I thought I took long breaks from my project.
    Glad to hear you are back to it!