1980 Z28 - All original engine swap

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Jeb1470, Dec 15, 2017.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    It seems funny that everyone thinks they need an LS engine to go fast these days, its a fad until something else comes along. I how ever prefer to beat up on LS N/A engines with my old outdated junk every chance I get. Still nothing wrong with a good old SB or BB's. I remember when the Chevy 409 was all the rage growing up until the 396 came out, now if you own a 409 and go to a car show they are a people magnet.

Big Block Z likes this.
  2. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Phila area
    I've owned my share of small block and big block cars and for the most part they ran good, The LS is a proven combination that works. Dollar for Dollar it's the way to go. I have a Lingenfelter LS stroker sitting under my workbench and I drove the car this bullit came out of so I know what to expect. I need to quit worrying about ruining the car and just do it. My Only beef with the LS is that it is Freakin Ugly, That's why they cover it with the plastic covers. a BB or SB would look much better, You never see anyone cover a BB do you. :D
    Mark

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    What makes the LS ugly? It's not much different then a SBC.

The 80Z28 will be worth something some day like all iconic cars will. Will it be ridiculous money?? probably not... Life is short....Have fun with your car and not worry about 50 years from now. I have a 70 Camaro that's worth more as a shell then a 80 Camaro and I still have modified the crap out of it. With the LS7, 6 speed and modern suspension it will perform and speed down the track with the best of modern performance cars. The fun and thrill I has right now is worth more to me today then any value when I'm 80 years old. By that time I won't give a crap about what its worth. When I'm dead, it won't matter...they can crush it all I care. So live for today lol!

4. Allen B

Allen B New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Powder Springs, GA
    I'm glad all you people like to modify your cars, it will continue to press up the price for one that has not been modified.

5. Chevynut252

Chevynut252 New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Woonsocket, RI
    I just saw your post and offer my 2 cents. I have a matching numbers 1969 Z28 and mothballed the original 302 within the First two months of owning it and swapped it with a 1970 CE LT1. Simiar HP with more torque and still looks stock. Since then I gave found 2 more 302 engines and will swap one in the spring just so I can enjoy a de-stroked engine (302) and keep the characteristics of a true Z. Never throw original stuff away but put it away carefully. Don’t let mice or rodents get at it and mark the containers in detail. Oil the engine properly for long term storage. I also have a very low mileage 1995 LT1 GEN II but decided not to go ECM so that's on CL and will not be in any of my classics