1980 Camaro Ultra Z

Discussion in 'Camaro Collectibles' started by 80CAMZ28, Apr 1, 2007.

1. 80CAMZ28

80CAMZ28 New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    New York
    Hey Guys,

Has anyone ever seen any information online about the 1980 Camaro Ultra Z turbo? On ebay I saw someone was auctioning the September 1979 Hot Rod magazine with the preview of the 1980 Camaros on it. I know I've seen a photo of this car in the Camaro White Book. I also saw that Monogram and Testors have made a model of it as well. I did a Google search with every combination of the term and the only thing that came up was 3 ebay items having to do with the models and the Hot Rod magazine. I would even love to know if anyone had the Hot Rod magazine I'm referring to.

Regards,
    Richard

2. lv2roc

lv2roc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Lethbridge,AB, Canada
    I think Car Craft had a write up about an Ultra Z. I will have to look through old boxes to see if I can find it. If someone beats me to it that would be great. ;)

3. william

william Veteran Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Indiana,P.A. U.S.A.
    I have a write up on the ultra Z in the book titled "How to Supertune your Z28 Camaro" Author is Joe Oldham.
    Publisher is Motorbooks International.

I also have the magazine articles dealing with the Mr.Gasket Aero Camaro, packed away somewhere.
    Try Classic Industries for the super tuning book, i believe this is where i ordered this book many years ago.

4. lv2roc

lv2roc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Lethbridge,AB, Canada
    In the Apr. 1979 issue, the magazine (Hot Rod) tested a special Camaro factory-fit with and experimental aluminum block 350 engine. Later, the GM garage stepped it up with a '79 Ultra Z concept car with an aluminum block and a turbo with EFI. It also had a sweet whale tale. It produced just 278 HP, but the most powerful '79 Corvette L82 made 220HP, so 278Hp seemed like an improvement!
    I collect Car Craft but someone should have a copy of this and can scan and post from the magazine.. Without permission, of course.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  5. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    right from our site - vroom vroom

[​IMG]

6. 80CAMZ28

80CAMZ28 New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    New York
    Thanks for all the info guys. I would love it if anyone had any scans since it is very hard to get copies of these mags. The book should be pretty easy though.

Thanks Again!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  7. pete0331

pete0331 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Kitsap, WA
    What was the differance between the Ultra Z and the Cheverra Camaro?

8. THOMAS81Z

THOMAS81Z Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2000
    new market NH
    i have the book and the article nice right ups

9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Cheverra was a "tuned" Camaro by Herb Adams VSE that accompanied the Fire Am Firebirds. You could buy a built Cheverra through certain dealers or you could get all the parts and build your own.

The UltraZ was built by Chevrolet.

Another one is the DKM Macho Z. This was built by Dennis Mecham in Arizona and was similar to the DKM Macho T/A's sold through Mecham Pontiac.

10. 78LT - Joan Jett

78LT - Joan Jett Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Anyone know if there's a repro of that sweet UltraZ whale tail floating around somewhere?