1980 Camaro owner - Z28 scoops and hood question

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Tutu, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Tutu

Tutu New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    UK, Leicester
    Hi I just bought a resto project, I want to give it the z28 look at the moment it has a 301 pontiac engine in it connected to I believe a th350 auto I was hoping to swap the engine for a chevy 350, will that mate to the gearbox?

I want to put scoops on the fenders and hood can these be easily retro fitted (I'm a UK owner) as buying new parts is really expensive here and rare is not the word. (Firebird's are a lot easier to find parts for I'm hoping the parts are interchangeable). Anyone got a shot of the underside of the hood and maybe with the scoop taken off the hood. Are the scoops the same as trans am scoops for the year? I've seen vent style ones are these a different year or different options?

I'm sorry if a lot of questions I've always been a trans am man and the first time I ever look for camaro's on ebay I end up buying it (Still not even started restoring my trans am.) I might even sell my bro the trans am to part fund the camaro so at least one of them is done.

2. THOMAS81Z

THOMAS81Z Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2000
    new market NH
    wow first welcome and they are not the same as the t/a scoops we need pics of your z before we can give you a good opinion

3. jaykay-uk

jaykay-uk Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2006
    milton keynes.uk
    good ???

hi tutu,i'm down in milton keynes. got a 81 z28.
    engine will mate up ok. as for vents,get hold of a year-one cat. they show most parts blown up so you can see what goes where.
    also a factory build manual is worth it's weight in gold.

4. Tutu

Tutu New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    UK, Leicester
    Hi I haven't got a z28 I have a standard camaro, I want to make everyone else think I have a z28 :eek:

I bought this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280291460691

I wasn't the winning bidder he backed out or something I paid just over £500, we've had a good prod and my body man reckons it's not too bad but I'm missing shed loads of it, haven't even had the bonnet up yet or it on a ramp but not looking forward to it.

Needs t top seals obviously.

5. jaykay-uk

jaykay-uk Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2006
    milton keynes.uk
    not bad

not bad buy,you can get all you need,but the exchange rate now is not so good for us.you can get all the vents and scoops from the us.
    i've been 9-10 yrs rebuilding mine,what with on off moods.
    but should be finished in the new year.

6. 3origZlovers

3origZlovers Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Springfield,MO. USA
    Couple of things you need to know. If you are wanting to make it a Z28 clone you will need the Z28 cowl induction hood, the Z28 fenders with the smooth vents, front flares with front spoiler, rear flares as well as the correct Z28 upper and lower grills since you have an '80... this is what the 80 and 81 Z28's came out with. Note that the hood (bonnet) I'm talking about is common only to the 80 and 81, the 78 and 79 have a hood scoop, but it is different and non-functional. Later on we can find you a Z28 steering wheel and help you upgrade the suspension.

7. Tutu

Tutu New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    UK, Leicester
    This is the look I want

[​IMG]

I'm going to paint it dark blue, not bothered about the z28 badge but would like to upgrade the suspension/brakes to bring it inline with the upgraded engine.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a new 350 for it do I want the long or short one? I see the chevy engines seems to be 250HP as standard which is enough for me would this make it faster than any stock Z28 of this year.

While manual would be good I don't fancy the hassle changing to a manual transmission so am happy to stay auto for now.

Oh and what I want to do is mod my fenders and hood with the scoops so I don't have to replace them (I was quoted £200 a fender) + scoops and a hood we're talking £800 or more than I paid for the car. I'd like to do a proper job but since I lack the funds (If I could buy them as cheap as you guys I'd do it) I thought I'd have my originals modded if possible (Fenders should be easy) snf then keep an eye out for decent 2nd hand (Or if I import a car next year/the year after like I plan put 2 new fenders in the back of the car.

Originality and resale value are of little value to me as I have no intention of selling the car but the Z28 look will go nice parked next to a black trans am ;-)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  8. Tutu

Tutu New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    UK, Leicester

Funny, my mate has a 420g jaguar and since '99 he's been saying should be next year, I hope your should be new year is closer than his ;-)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  9. jaykay-uk

jaykay-uk Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2006
    milton keynes.uk
    jaykay

a good bloke is dave eady at burton latimer in northants, he deals abit and does spares.reasonable prices,and a nice falla to deal with.
    can get him on 01536 420201.
    lol just got last part i need.so just interior to put back in.

10. steveo_80z28_nj

steveo_80z28_nj Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2008
    nj