1980 and 1981 fuse box layout

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by flak monkey, Oct 2, 2012.

1. flak monkey

flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Just made this up for my car as my fuse panel has no writing left on it. Most others I can find aren't labelled that clearly, so decided to make my own one up to keep in the car. Thought it might be a useful reference?

The labels are above each fuse or power take off.

NB - most of the fuse values in my box are wrong!

IGN are switched power, +12v with ignition on - fused through the gauges/inst fuse (10A)

BATT are permanent +12V -the one under the power accy breaker is fused through the same (30A) and the 2 at the bottom are fused through the ctsy/clock fuse (20A)

There is a spare instrument/gauge light take off below the pwr window fuse.

Hope that helps some people....
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
  3. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Hi all , I am not getting any power on the fuses slot labeled "Instrument Lights" in flak monkey's picture. Can anyone very there should be power there?
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The headlight switch needs to be on (either position) to get power to the INST LPS fuse.

It should be a 5 Amp fuse for the Instrument Lights.
    A 20 Amp fuse will fry the circuit panel (in the case of a short) before it blows.

This is for an 80.... Not the greatest picture but it has the factory labels.
  5. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Ok, thanks. I'll check again this evening and make sure the headlight switch is on.
  6. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    Thanks man for posting this. The writing on mine is pretty borderline and it's nice to see which one I'm looking at before trying to crawl under the dash.

I am needing to move my taillights back to the headlight switch power instead of being on accessory power as they are now. I might be missing something, but I don't see a good spot to tie into for the headlight circuit, assuming I shouldn't tie into the inst light circuit as mentioned above.

The only other thing I can think of is splicing into the headlight wire / switch, which I would rather not do unless you guys suggest otherwise. If it's better to create a new thread I can do that as well. Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think the Haynes manual has it all listed out too