1979 Z28 with maybe delay wiper or wrong switch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by FNFAL308, Jun 20, 2017.

1. FNFAL308

FNFAL308 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Bought this Z28 a couple of months ago and going through it to fix everything. Wipers do nothing. From a lot of searching it appears that I may have a 80 - 81 single wire delay switch. Don't know what the motor is but it is new. Guy I bought it from knows nothing about cars but he tried. Wires under dash are surprisingly uncut and only 3 sets that are not plugged in to anything.

The motor and the switch may not match the wiring in the car. This is what I am trying to discern. Any help would be appreciated. Motor and switch was changed out and may not be correct.

BTW - also have washer bottle with electric pump on bottle with wire connected. Looks factory wiring.

Thanks for the help!!!

Front and Rear of switch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wires 1 and 2 and 3 under dash not plugged in to anything
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solution (also see post 10) I worked this out on the bench. Working on it in the car was never going to work. I believe this to be a switch and motor from a 1980. Wiring does dot work on t from a 1979. Enjoy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. FNFAL308

FNFAL308 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Spring, TX
    If you need bigger pics I'll use a bigger phone. Sorry.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Your switch is a 79 or 80 delay wiper switch. (I think they were the same.)
    Your washer bottle and pump are probably from a 78.
    (I had that washer setup on my 78 and installed it in my 80 using the 78 harness. Don't remember specifics from over 20years ago.)

Your wiper motor also has a pump. (And I don't think it's a "Delay" wiper system motor.)

The connector with the orange and black wires is for the clock.

The light blue flasher is for your signal lights. (The hazard flasher is in the fuse block.)

Don't know about the single red wire connector.

4. FNFAL308

FNFAL308 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Thanks! One step closer...

Any clue where the green wire on the switch connects to? I see nothing under there to connect to. I'll buy the correct motor just not sure if the car/wire harness is a delay or regular at this point. May not have correct switch or motor.

Do you have a recommendation on a service manual that would have the correct wiring diagrams specifically for the 1979 with the different options? I only need the manual for wiring and if it isn't specific, then I would do as well flipping a coin.

Thanks.

5. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You're working with an odd mix of parts... But I think this can function if you figure out what the car is wired for.

Do the two wires connected to the motor lead back to the washer pump?

Have you found the plug in the engine bay for the wiper motor?
    If so... A pic there would help.

What does the plug for your wiper switch look like?
    If it matches the switch... That will probably tell us you need a different motor.

A little more info and my old Haynes manual (with most of the electrical diagrams and options) may get you even closer to figuring it all out. ;)

6. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Pulse wiper system for a 79.

upload_2017-6-20_21-21-32.png

I've had this Haynes this manual since the early 80's... It has almost everything electrical in there. :D

7. FNFAL308

FNFAL308 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Twisted Metal, Thanks for your help. Pics and a lot of info added.

The switch plug does mount on the switch except for the green wire there is no wire for it to plug into.

Your drawing of the switch above has three wires coming from it whereas mine only has one. My wiring harness does not match this as there are not three wires under the dash to tie into this.

The motor does not match in that the wires for the washer pump are on the washer at the front of the engine bay (not on the wiper motor assembly) and appear to be factory. So the original motor did not have a pump attached. The motor on the car now does have a pump. Also I only have three wires on the wiring harness for the wiper motor assembly and in the drawing above there are 7 wires.

The wiper arms have three bolts holding the wiper base on and the driver arm has the main arm and the arm that causes it to sweep.

At this point:
    1) I MAY have the correct switch but don't know where the green wire connects. But not sure. If there is a switch with the plug only
    2) The motor, even though wrong for the cars wiring harness, also does not match the wiring diagram above either. It has places for 5 wires.
    3) I think this car came with the electric washer pump at the front - looks factory.
    4) I think the wiper arms are also factory correct as there is no indication it was a two bolt.
    5) The wiring diagram above does not match my wiring harness at the switch or the motor or the washer so I do not think that is the correct diagram
    6) I believe I do not have the correct motor. I need one without the washer pump. I think I need one with three prongs for the plug in the pictures.

I do not mind rewiring to make this work, but the switch and the motor assembly do not match. Wires I can make work of course.
    Lt Blue, Dk Blue, BLK, BLK
    [​IMG]
    Motor wires. Note that there is a pump on this motor but the wires for the pump are on the electric pump at front of engine compartment. Lt Blue, Blk, Blk/yel
    [​IMG]
    Washer pump wires. These are Blk/yellow and dk blue as in the wiring diagram above
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. FNFAL308

FNFAL308 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Looks like my switch and motor came from a 1980 Pulse.

If that is so, I should be able to get this to work fine with the diagram below. Thoughts?

http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/1980-camaro-optional1-wiring.html

Or maybe not. That diagram is not complete between the motor and the switch with colors missing on both sides. Also grounds and powers are not marked. But it is a start.

9. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    This system is almost exactly like the Chevy trucks. I went through this last year for a while and forgot almost everything. The switch goes to a delay module then to the wiper motor. There is a difference in wiper motors but I don't recall the diff on top of my head. In trucks it is a generic 79 and up wiper motor and the delay module and switch makes it a delay system. I'm sure if you get your hands on some good diagrams you should get it to work. The delay modules are getting scarce from what I hear. It would be good to snag them if you see them in junk yards.

I did not know Camaros came with wiper washer pumps in the tank. I need to find one of those.

10. FNFAL308

FNFAL308 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Here is the solution. I am likely going to bypass the factory harness if I find it is drastically different. I don't want it modified so I'll make my own harness. Attached is the diagram for what I believe is a 1980 switch with one wire coming out of it and a 1980 delay wiper motor with integrated washer pump. Works flawlessly. Switch completely works as intended. Used the motor and switch that is in the pics up top. DO NOT LOOK AT THE WIRE COLORS IN THE OTHER POSTS AS IT DOES NOT WORK. Different harness. If I do modify the harness by re-pinning wires I'll post that up.

[​IMG]