1979 Z28 Black amd Orange

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Blk+Orange79Z28, Jun 15, 2016.

Where should I put my orange NastyZ28.com sticker?

1. Trunk Lid Inside

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Passanger Dash Pad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Glove Box Front

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Blk+Orange79Z28

Blk+Orange79Z28 Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Well, I finally decided to make a forum account. I've been snooping around on here the last year getting all your guys tips and tricks and the time has come for me to show you guys my progress.

Here's the short version of my story.
    My grandpa had a 79 camaro in storage, last driven in 2000 (at least that's the last tabs on it). it didn't run or drive, tires were rotted. anyway, storage guy said it had to get out. I asked my grandpa if he had any use for it, he said no. I asked "if i rebuild it can i have it" then he gave the yes i was looking for. My dad and i towed it home and started to get to work. It had the usual rust spots behind both doors, some on the front behind the wheel wells too. We got the engine running, after a few days of shooting oil into the spark plug holes and cleaning out the carb. From there, i couldn't handle the moth ball smell and had to fix the interior. We did the project backwards (as i've been told multiple times) and did the interior first.
    We gutted the light blue, moth ball smelling interior and then thought about color choices. The light blue really wasn't cutting it for me, so I decided black with some orange accents would look real nice. We got the seats reupholstered somewhere locally and i re-dyed all the interior trim aside from the rear seat sides that were just crumbling. Anyway, here is a picture of the interior now, the door panels are off because it is going into paint this week.
    We have gotten the transmission rebuilt since, but the engine hasn't needed much aside from new water pumps, power steering pump, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel tank, alternator, master cylinder, brake lines, new brakes and a few other things.
    This winter in the freezing cold garage, I put in new front fenders and bumper and did those take a lot of maneuvering. But i got them on and now its ready for paint after 50 hours of other body work on the whole car. It is gonna be painted this week and i will update more on that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing more pics as you work on her!

3. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

4. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Montana
  5. ANT80Z28

ANT80Z28 Member

Nov 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY USA
    The black and orange is sharp

6. TxGold

TxGold Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Houston
    That is a sharp looking interior. Keep up the good work.

7. 3504SPD

3504SPD Veteran Member

Welcome. Good luck with the car.

8. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome to the site. Good looking seats and detail work on the interior. I love the Z28 stitching on the seats and visors. What color are you spraying the car?

9. Blk+Orange79Z28

Blk+Orange79Z28 Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Thanks for All the welcomes :)

Metallic Black, I did not like the two tone stripes from phoenix so i special ordered solid orange to see if it would look better, since the seats are a little special i thought maybe make the decals special too, we will see how it turns out.

10. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Welcome!! I'm looking forward to more pictures also. That interior looks nice.