Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Bad79, Jul 25, 2014.
Thats a wicked build!
Finally pulled the trigger on the rear end and ordered a DSE Quadra-link today with a Moser built Ford 9" with 35 spline axles to fit my WaveTrac center. Should be here in a few weeks so progress can continue. Picked up a stainless narrowed gas tank built by Rock Valley Antique Auto as well, so assembly can begin soon. Once I have the backspacing, I can order the wheels and tires and hope to have it on the road before the spring.
The QuadraLink arrived a week or two back and it scheduled to get installed this coming week. It won't be long now! The specs are that it is housed in a 9" Ford rear end specifically built for 2nd Gen F-bodys. The housing is from Moser. I used DSE tubs on the car as well so that was a factor in the width to use. I will be able to run a 12-13" wide tire on the rear now for better traction. I'm using a 3.73 WaveTrac center section, with a lifetime transferable warranty, 35 spline Moser axles and will be using 14" Wilwood rotors (6p calipers front, 4p calipers rear). The wheels and tires are up in the air a little longer. I had a set being made by Hydyne for the Triple Threat TA build and had decided to just use them for this car but Hydyne is being VERY slow to get the hoops on the centers that were already paid for and CNC'd.
Below are a few pics of the biggest parts such as QuadraLink brackets already mounted on the housing and powder coated by DSE and the custom made fuel tank. I have yet to open the rest of the boxes of brackets, etc. It is a job that will test my skillset, which I like I've got a great fabricator to help if I get in over my head. I'll definitely need him to do the real welding after I get it all tacked into place. I don't trust my welding enough for something this critical. Sheet metal is one thing, frame rails another!
First up is a custom made narrowed stainless steel fuel tank, needed to fit exhaust past the QuadraLink.
Here is the rear end housing. All the other parts of the QuadraLink are still in a bunch of unopened boxes.
Latest update is that the QuadraLink should be installed by the weekend and I in the process of getting some Year One billet wheels lined up. Dave at Restore-A-Muscle-Car is helping me with that at the moment.
Since we're installing the full on QuadraLink I decided to go better on the front suspension that what I had already started. (Yes, this is mission creep) Dave at Pro-Touring F-Body is setting me up with a ride height adjustable coil over front suspension. Going to swap out the current brand new PTFB control arms and sway bar for a different style to support a true coil-over setup. It will require cutting a couple of holes in the frame and welding in new brackets for the coil-overs but it should be pretty sweet. Dave will be hooking me up with a new steering box and front steering components as well.
Once I have the wheels and front suspension in hand I should have "almost" everything I need to finish final assembly.
I still have a couple of things in the planning stages and they are a new ignition setup that will add some traction control to this beast since it has so much torque and I am also considering a custom made roll bar since I don't plan on putting a rear seat back in it. I need to meet with my fabricator for the roll bar design but my initial thoughts are to have small braces coming off the main hoop to weld onto the DSE subframe connectors and then the usual rear supports that go back through the package tray to the trunk. I want to keep it as close to the body as possible so it isn't all that visible. This will be a street / autocross car so a full roll cage isn't planned. I want to put some sort of full on fire suppression system in the car as well.
Been a long time since I posted. The car has made some significant progress. I'll let the photos explain.