1979 TA Pro-Touring Build in progress

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Bad79, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Time to put the subframe together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can probably tell from the floor. My little garage in the back yard got a complete interior while I was at it. That is the same garage that is in post #4. It came out okay for a rookie try.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Tubs are in.
    Toe kicks are in.
    Full floor is in.
    Firewall panel is in
    DSE sub frame connectors, cut and tacked in place waiting to mate new sub-frame.
    Upper and lower tubular control arms and springs are mounted to freshly powder coated sub-frame

Ready to mount the body on the sub-frame and then finish welding the connectors in place once everything is square. I left the connectors tacked in place until the sub-frame was back under it.

Going to use an extra rear end and spring to put up under the car until it is painted, since I don't want any overspray on the springs or housing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    The DSE sub-frame connectors and tubs are fully welded in and the bottom of the car was sprayed with some Kevlar infused 2K bed liner. The owner of the body shop came by the house to do it while it was still on the rotisserie. Also put in DSE body mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Loaded up and at the body shop! New hood and a set of Year One fiberglass flares are in boxes in pictures. The rest of the body panels are on the trailer as well. Finally starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Jambs and firewall are painted. Three trips to the paint store to finally make sure they got the paint right! Both top and bottom of new floor and sub-frame connectors have been sprayed with bed liner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Year One aftermarket hood
    [​IMG]
    Year One fiberglass wheel flares
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    She is starting to look pretty good. She has 725+ hp of Pontiac power waiting to go in her...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finally getting some color on this beast! Fresh out the booth and ready for sanding and buffing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Third times the charm. After 2 failed paint jobs, it's finally the right color!

7. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Now that it FINALLY had some color on it, I had a few more decisions to make.

1. Putting in the tubs created a new set of issues. The shock mounts were eliminated and the springs now get in the way of wider wheels and tires. So, I have several scenarios to consider.
    a. Fabricate a set of new shock mounts and go with coil-overs and re-use the same rear end. This is the least expensive option but would still cost close to $1000 minimum and I would have a 10 bolt with stock axles that will never old up to 650+ ft. lbs. of torque.
    b. Buy an engineered setup that will essentially bolt in. That would include a Ford 9 inch, etc.

2. Wheels and tires.... Obviously have to upgrade here and want to go with the widest tire and wheel I can fit.

3. Brakes.... I have a set of Wilwood 6 piston calipers and 14" rotors for the front but will need to get something for the back and get all the rest of the brake system as well.

4. Air brushing decals and bird on.

5. Mounting the T-56 magnum I own, to stay behind this beast of a motor. I bought this motor and transmission to use in another 2nd Gen build, but it is taking so long that this combo is going to waste.

After speaking with American Powertrain, the builder of the transmission I decided to buy their Pro-Fit 2nd Gen Install Kit.

ProFit MAGNUM Installation Kit for 1975-81 Gen 2 Late F-body
    (Camaro/Firebird). Kit includes:
    AP Revolution Shifter Mechanism - Original 4-speed shift position
    Seamless DOM Driveshaft Assembly - Race Balanced, Solid U-Joints
    Driveshaft Slip Yoke - Cryogenically hardened steel
    X-Factor Cross Member - Hot Pressed Aluminum, bolt-in
    Transmission Mount - Polyurethane
    Pilot Bearing - Stainless rollers, grease pre-pak
    Reverse Light Harness - Weatherseal
    Speedometer Conversion - Electronic
    Black 6-speed Shifter Knob
    Round Stock Chrome Shifter Handle
    Console Shift Pattern Plate
    Modular Reverse Light Harness

QT SFI Bell Housing for Buick/Olds/Pontiac to LS T56/GM Magnum.
    NOTE: Includes full motor plate and hardware. 6.1SFI Certified at 85,000PSI

SCIENCE FRICTION SUB-ATOMIC TWIN SFSAT26SC, 855FT-LB RATED,
    PROGRESSIVE UPTAKE, PRE-PARALELLED AND BALANCED FOR EASY
    SET-UP, KIT INCLUDES:
    CUSTOM SCIENCE FRICTION Billet Steel 166t flywheel, 1977-85 Pontiac 326-455,
    Atomic Twin Disc Clutch
    CRYO HARDENED LOW EFFORT ATOMIC TWIN CLUTCH COVER
    CRYO HARDENED LOW EFFORT ATOMIC TWIN FLOATER PLATE
    TWIN 26-SPLINE ORGANIX DISCS
    GRADE-8 FASTENERS
    ALIGNMENT TOOL

Brake and Clutch Pedal Assembly, 72-81 Camaro/Firebird, includes pads, bushings

GM HYDRAMAX Hydraulic Clutch Actuator System for MAGNUM/LS
    T56/Viper T56. Kit Includes:
    Hydramax Concentric Slave - Pre-bled, double width seals
    Steel Braided Lines - Teflon Lined Stainless Steel
    3/4" Bore Master Cylinder - Black Powder Coated
    Hydramax Firewall Mount - Patented Adjustable Mount w/Firewall Stiffener
    Bolt-on Slave Base - Billet Steel, Black Oxide Finish
    Reservoir Kit - Remote or local mount, plastic (billet upgrade available)
    Pedal Rod and Hardware - Model Specific, Adjustable Length
    Fittings, hardware and complete instructions

8. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Airbrushed bird is finished. Still had to get the lettering done and everything cleared.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure I like the TA 725hp part. I wanted it to just say 725 HP.

[​IMG]

9. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    The airbrush artist finally had some better weather and a break in his work schedule to finish up. It was neat to watch him work. Have a few pics to show.

Here's how its done. First he used contact paper on the car and hand drew the sail panel birds and fender lettering.
    [​IMG]
    Then he uses a razor blade to cut out the inside outline before airbrushing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Before clear
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hood with pre-paint cleaner on it to simulate look with clear
    [​IMG]
    In the booth with clear just laid
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So all the pieces should be cleared, wet sanded and buffed shortly. It's been a long wait but the work has been good.

10. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Few more now that the clear is on. Still has to be cut and buffed but it looks pretty darn good already!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]