1979 TA Pro-Touring Build in progress

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Bad79, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    I asked if this and a couple of other 2nd Gen F-body Pontiac builds might be of interest and the response was positive, so I'll run through the build to its current state. This first post will show the car as I received it and my first upgrades before doing this build on it. She was actually a good 5 footer but had 2 or 3 spots of rust bubbling up at the usual spots and paint cracking behind the T-Tops.

When I first got the car, she looked pretty good and had gone through some work but the motor was obviously a throw in. I assume the previous owner pulled the motor and dumped this in to sell it. The car was roughly a 8 or 9 in looks but the motor was rusty, crusty and a 301 turbo that wasn't even hooked up all the way. It barely ran. So the first thing I did was pull that motor and put in a 72 HO 455 that was built to roughly 500 hp.

Original exterior condition - small dent in quarter, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Original Engine - barely running 301 turbo
    [​IMG]

So then I upgraded the power plant...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Put in a built TH350 and reworked the rear end
    From this...
    [​IMG]
    To this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that is essentially where the current build begins...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    The new Nocturne Blue TA in progress....

First, I decided to just have it painted but the painter turned out to be a drug addict and eventually even stole and crushed one of my f-bodys before going to jail, getting out and dying of an overdose when he got out.

He was highly recommended but I caught him on the downward spiral. His first attempt...

The color didn't come out just right. The color looked great under flourescent lights but outside it had too much green in it. He supposedly took the shaker off the car and took it to the paint shop so they could scan it and match the old color when they mixed it. They need to recalibrate that thing!

Here is what it looked like in the outside pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    So I gave him another try at paint and, though the color came out nice it was still not the color I had planned around. Unfortunately, since it was sprayed twice on top of what was there, I decided to have it completely stripped before going any further. Here it is today after the 2nd try
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see from the bottom of the upainted decklid, the difference in the color
    [​IMG]

4. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    I finally got disgusted with the 2nd paint job and started stripping it. Good thing since I found a weak floor pan after I pulled the interior out. Put it on the rotisserie and off we went.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics of the door bars. I bolted them into the door hinge bolts and then drilled holes in the interior wall of the quarter panel. I decided not to attach where the door strike is because it just didn't seen sturdy enough. If I had tightened the door bars much it would have pulled that area out pretty easily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sidewayz71

sidewayz71 Veteran Member

Jan 30, 2009
    PacNW
    My buddy in high school had a gold 79 T/A. We had some great times in that car, I will always love those cars:cool: I am staying tuned for updates.

6. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Well, I had to go find some tubing and weld in a couple of cross braces because I ended up taking the entire floor out. I thought that the passenger side floor was the only repair but as usual you find some interesting stuff once you start digging.

Check out the inside of the passenger rocker where the floor attaches. It is also a pretty good view of the cage nut for anyone who wants to know what it looks like under there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tipical A pillar rust. just that one little area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The driver side floor had another floor pan put over the old, which actually appeared good from underneath the car. I think they used marglass or some other product like that to seal it in there. Definitely not welded. I was able to pry it out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was also able to get that other floor pan off the top of the driver's pan and here is what she looks like underneath that.
    [​IMG]

Plate someone welded under the T-top, I assume it was because the paint had cracked behind the tops, which was a pretty common occurrence. My take is that it just needed sub-frame connectors to keep that from happening. I guess we'll find out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  7. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    One stripped subframe ready to go to the powder coaters along with the radiator support and bumper brackets.
    [​IMG]

When it is done, I will reassemble using Pro-Touring F-Body upper and lower tubular control arms, sway bar and their g-braces and and cowl brace. Went by the powder coaters to see how they were coming along on media blasting the shell. Just about done when I stopped by. Definitely some suprises but at least they are visible now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  8. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    She's back from the blaster. Had to be blasted twice because they sprayed it with Self Etch afterwards and when i asked them to seal it, both Epoxy primer and 2K had bad spots come through. So they blasted it all of the car and went back with just 2k. Talk about a pain. I spent close to $700 just in primer on this one car and I had 2 TA's being done at the same time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scored some good toe kicks from a place in Columbia called Brocks Camaro and Firebird.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Some of the parts I had blasted and primed or powder coated...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [img/albums/cc231/dcamburn/1979%20Trans%20Am%20-%20Blue/IMAG0296.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    Floor out....
    [​IMG]

New complete floor pan is in, DSE firewall filler panel is being welded in, new toe kicks are in, subframe connectors are tacked in place and the DSE mini-tubs are going in now.

Undressed welds (And I am not a great welder to begin with. Just teaching myself now)... but progress is once again being made..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]