1979 Jack and Spare

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by FNFAL308, Oct 29, 2017.

1. FNFAL308

FNFAL308 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Spring, TX
    My car does not have a jack or spare. Spare is no problem Ill just get a 15" steel rim and throw a correct dia tire on it.

But what about the jack? What did the 79 come with? If I can't get a factory style jack, what is good alternative? I am assuming a scissor jack?

2. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    Unless you want original, I would just get a nice scissors jack. My 79 came with a bumper jack and has a hook that fit into the front/rear bumper.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Those old bumper jacks are an accident looking for a place to happen. Mine has never been on the ground.

4. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    Get all the OG stuff. Just don't use any of it. Lol. I like to see all of it in the trunk.

5. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    My 79 Z has the standard factory bumper jack, plus the inflatable tire with the canister.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The factory bumper jack can crack the paint on the urethane bumper.
    The factory one mounted under the rear package tray with the tire iron.
    The base of the jack was used with a hook and big wing nut to hold the spare to the trunk floor.

A compact scissors jack, breaker bar/socket and wheel chocks is far more useful (and safer) if you ever actually need it.

JD Z likes this.
  7. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    The Bird ones were black through 78. 79 had the Corp blue color. When I bought my car in 79, I happened to notice when I was ready to leave the dealer all was missing in the trunk, they all brand new stuff in, it's all 79 stuff, but I'm leaving it. I wish they gave me the correct trunk mat, but no. That's really the last think I'm looking for. I have a re pop in, it's just not rite.