1979 Camaro project issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Michael Neuman, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Michael Neuman

Michael Neuman New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Hey, I’m new here, heck new to working with cars all together but figured it’s give the family something to do together, I got a 1979 Camaro from my wife’s Uncle who bought it from someone else. All he really knows about it what he was told is it has 383 stroker with 350turbo transmission, camel hump heads and. Edelbrock carburetor. He literally had the car for over two years and maybe drove it 3-4 times. Again I’m new to working on engines. The issues we are having with it is when driving it once it’s in 3rd it won’t go over 2500rpm and it won’t get over 55mph. If you just sitting and rev it up rpms will get up to 5-6000 just when driving that’s where it stops at. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue can me or where maybe to start. Any help or ideas would really be appreciated

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    Welcome to a new opportunity to learn about mechanical & electrical 'stuff'. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on the board who are willing to share knowledge and make good suggestions.
    You say "when driving it once it’s in 3rd it won’t go over 2500rpm". Will it go over 2500 rpm in 1st or 2nd? This could be a transmission issue.

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Does it still have the catalytic converter? It could be clogged. It could also be lack of fuel form a clogged filter or weak fuel pump.

4. Michael Neuman

Oct 8, 2017
    It doesn’t have the catalytic converter on there. I haven’t changed out the fuel filter since I got it. The fuel pressure gauge is set at 6psi. When you turn the key on it takes a couple seconds build up pressure. And 1st and 2nd it does go over 2500

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    If it goes over 2500 rpm in 1st & 2nd, but not in 3rd, I think you have a transmission issue. Just my opinion.

6. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    It could be a carburetor issue, or other parts of the fuel system. Especially if it sat that long with the same fuel in it. You say key on, it's building 6 psi? If that is with the engine off, you have an electric fuel pump. You mention the fuel pressure is set to 6. Is there an adjustable regulator installed? You need to have both fuel volume, and pressure. As well as fuel quality. I'd check to make sure the fuel is good as well. Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor with the engine off and make sure fuel pressure is zero, or close to it, before doing so. Hold a metal or glass container under the detached fuel line. Have a helper turn the key on or crank the engine for a few seconds. Look at the fuel you collect, it should look clear with no debris, etc in it. Smell the fuel. If it doesn't smell right you're going to have to drain the fuel and replace it with fresh fuel. Report back with your results.

7. Michael Neuman

Oct 8, 2017
    Yea when I first got the car before starting it we drained the fuel out and put some fresh fuel in there. It does have an adjustable regulator on it. I replaced the fuel filter tonight. And I just started looking under the car near the gas tank. I was originally told it had a internal fuel pump which I found was wrong. It has a Holley blue fuel pump my friend said is mounted wrong. It is mounted higher than the fuel tank itself and I seen it had a hose that came off the pump that was kinked. So my next days off I’m going to remount the pump as low as I can. Not sure If that’s the problem but it’s something that does need to be installed properly

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Check the Vacuum Modulator Line.

9. Michael Neuman

Oct 8, 2017
    I haven’t but I will do that as well

10. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    If the car sat that long, you should change the rubber lines while you're in there. Kinked lines are bad, especially on the feed side to the pump. Once you know your fuel is flowing, if you still have issues I'd look at the carburetor and then ignition coil or distributor.