1979 Camaro Dash lights

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Camaro Mark, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Camaro Mark

Camaro Mark New Member

Oct 15, 2017
    My son has a 1979 Camaro and we can not get the dash lights to work. All bulbs have been replaced, all connections have been cleaned, the headlight switch has been replace, there is no breaks in the circuit loop and I have even tried swapping instrument panels with my working 1980 Camaro and still nothing. Is there a ground connection we aren't finding. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

2. BryanG1959

BryanG1959 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Atlanta, Georgia
    The grey wire in the plug to the instrument cluster should have 12V on it when lights are switched on. That goes back to the fuse box INST LPS fuse. The black wire next to the grey wire on the cluster connection is the ground for it. Keep in mind my color references are for a 1970 wiring harness.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You need to pull the headlight switch for the INST LMPS fuse to get power.

5. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    what Twisted Metal said, thats how it gets ground, i thank,,,Maybe a black wire, ground, from cluster to light switch from lite switch to wiper switch from there to ground under dash to metal,maybe, final ground wire for lite switch for dome lit dimmer, this would be on a 70 i thank

6. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    I have the same issue ..no dash lights. Is there a Diagnostic Flow Chart for the sequence of checking flow? I mean every other system in the car has a Diagnostic Flow Chart....can't find one in Haynes for electrical.

7. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    Okay, here is what I learned about the dash lights today...the dk grn wirs at the H/L sw is dimmable power. It is NOT fused so if you tap a line off that drk grn line be sure to fuse it. The drk grn line turns into a beige ( tan) line that carries power to the circuit board. Tan line is fused at the block. Terminal #5 on the main gang plug that goes into the circuit board is dimmable power.