1979 Camaro Berlinetta Father & Sons project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by smace, Oct 8, 2016.

1. smace

smace Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Today my older son Ryan 18 and I went to look at a 79 Berlinetta advertised with only 32k miles. Apparently it sat in a garage for over 15 years before he bought it one year ago. The owner drove it a bit over the last year but never got around to fixing some things and decided to sell because of other projects.

It seems very original with a 305 and after a long inspection and finding very little rust we decided to buy it. The car has spent most of its life in central Florida and it shows. I drove it home 80 miles on the interstate at 75 mph and it ran great. We made a list of things to do tonight together. At first I was thinking of just fixing somethings to sell it since I already have a very nice 79 z28 but my boys are super excited to help fix it up and they are calling it theirs which is super cool. To be honest I am shocked. We will see where this project takes us. I guess it isn't to late to turn my boys into car guys after all. 20161008_162251.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. smace

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
  3. smace

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
  4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Nice ride, great to hear the boys are bonding with you and it!

5. smace

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
  6. Rosco80

Rosco80 New Member

Feb 20, 2012
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Awesome! Just debadge it and add a cool set of wheels and let him drive the wheels off it.

7. Very nice :)
    You wouldn't happen to have these and other pics in bigger? Cause I could really use them as reference material for my 79 Berlinetta.

If it was mine, I'd keep in original. Berlinettas are not as loved as Z28, but they are quite distinctive different from the rest Camaros.
    Btw, is there still the hood insulation on and all the gaskets and gromments around the hood, fender, radiator?

Thanks and get these boys to be car guys ;)
    Julian

8. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    My first car was a 79 Berlinetta and started my love for F-bodies. I wish mine was in that good of shape though, your's looks pretty solid and the interior looks outstanding. The boys should have a blast with it, as a young driver mine had just enough power to be fun with out getting me in over my head.

9. smace

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    yes itvis all orginal with 32k miles on it. i woukd be happy to take anybpics you want.

10. smace

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    20161009_172805.jpg

The old girl got new brakes by a new generation today. A friend of my boys came over to teach them how to do brakes.