1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    When I installed the one in the pic I didn't use the grills that came with the speakers. I just use that mesh that was already there. No surprise I can't find the old grills so I need to fab something up or get new speakers...trying to figure that out...If I want to go with a vinyl cover I can just put mesh in between the vinyl and the masonite, but I am not sure I want to do that...ruminating....

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Bill, if you don't have your package tray done when you come here to visit Howelcraft, maybe stop at TC Customized Inc on 51. Very close to me. Ask for Tom (TC). He should have speaker grills separately, if that's what you want. Personally, I think speakers should be heard, not seen. He might even have suggestions, since he does a lot of custom work. (412) 384-5300.

3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Excellent, thanks!!

4. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Made progress on the package tray today. We will see how it ultimately comes out, I may end up going to a pro as Phill suggested.

I got the masonite cut out and fit to the car. There is a step on each side the steel try in the car at the front. In order for it to sit flat it can't slide under the window trim all the way around only the rear most piece and part of the sail panels, then it has to sit above the groove under the trim to stay flat. If anyone has any info or pics on how the tray gets installed it would be very helpful. Here is progress so far.

Masonite cut to fit.

IMG_20171231_151950.jpg

I have modified the vinyl flap that tucks behind the seat when the package tray is installed. To keep the front of the tray down and secure I pulled the flap off the old tray and then glued it to the front of the new with spray contact adhesive. Then I put a piece of aluminum flat stock on top of that. I will screw the aluminum stock down to the front of the steel tray which should keep it secure and flat.

IMG_20171231_152308.jpg

And fold it over and tuck behind the seat....

IMG_20171231_152225.jpg

I figured out how I am going to do the speaker grills....maybe tomorrow for that. Still thinking it through...

5. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I decided to make my own flush mount speaker grill At the bottom of the screen is the cut out for the grill. At the top is before I cut it out. I got all the cut outs and holes lined up on the metal panel....

IMG_20180101_151332.jpg

Then I measured and cut out the square and made it large enough to retain the speaker mounting holes. I kept that to use as template as the cut out was not quite square (original cut out on the left, new cut out on right). I used the hole to trace out a template to make a new cut out, but first I squared it up. I then squared up the hole to match the new grill insert. I took the original cut out and lined it up with the new cut out and cut out the speaker opening and mounting holes. I coated the edges and top as per above with crazy glue and thus the darker color.

Next step is to glue some 1/8" ply under the big panel to retain the cut out and give it something to mount to. Maybe tomorrow....slowing down on this, Back to work Weds so need to plan the day for tomorrow.
    IMG_20180101_170240.jpg

6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I got the backing plates for the speaker grills done today and I got one speaker grill covered. In the bottom picture you can see the backing plate with the alignment markings at the top of the pic. I put two layers of window screen over it to give it some dimension. I only got one cover done. I test fit the whole panel with the speaker covers and everything still fits...taking a break until next weekend. Pics of today's work below...

IMG_20180102_165821.jpg

IMG_20180102_165804.jpg

7. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I finished up my second speaker cover and ordered new 6x9's.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC6934/Kicker-43CSC6934.html?tp=91

Since the masonite is so porous I thinned out some epoxy and covered the whole thing to firm it up a bit and reduce any future moisture absorbtion as well as make a better base for painting/finishing. Considering covering the the whole thing in mesh screen if I can come up with the best way to do that so it will last and be durable....

When it warms up a bit I need to go back to the garage to do another round of fitting it in the car.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  8. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Those speakers are worth the money. Good choice.

9. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Glad to hear! I am not an audiophile and did as much research as I could to figure it out. The center cones (whatever they are called?!) sit flush in these speakers as opposed to poke out over the top of the frame so that is better since I am not going to use the speaker covers that come with them.

10. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    They’ll sound better if you use an amp too.