1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    6* degrees tonight!

I was in the garage most of the day burning through 20#++ of propane to try and stay warm. Working on the console and getting all the wiring done. It takes way longer than I though it would. I installed a grounding block under the dash to consolidate all the grounds and provide a ground lead to the console. I installed a grounding block in the console for the 12V power connections, USB Connection and the USB direct connection to the radio. I took the console in and out at least 10x. Still having trouble getting all the wires tucked away so the console cover snaps into place properly and everything is relatively neat. I need to come up with a gauge carrier. I will either make it out of wood or my son is building a 3D printer which he says can produce it if Igive him the template. Printer is still being put together though. Pics below

Ground block on console cover...mounted with double sided Gorilla tape.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20171227_181635.jpg
    Fused Power distribution block mounted in bottom part of the console. Used the heavy duty plastic fastener (velcro like) to mount the block so it can be pulled off if necessary to change fuses etc.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20171227_181613.jpg
    2 port USB charger mounted just forward of the drivers seat bolster so it is out of the way your legs.
    IMG_20171227_181604.jpg
    [​IMG]

USB connection to the radio. The gauge cluster will be in front of it so it will be tucked away.
    IMG_20171227_181555.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    It was 3°when I got up, Bill. Gotta be freezing in your garage. Lot of progress, although for some reason, I can't see the pics.

3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It was 5* here. My wife left he water dripping in the bathroom, at 3:15 I turned it off not realizing it, by 5 am the pipe was frozen! I got it unfrozen with a heat gun but close call!

Maybe I am doing something wrong with the pics. I copied and pasted it in...I can see them. Maybe someone else can tell me if they can see them....I am using Google Photos.....

I finished the console install today! I need to sort out my shifter boot and get a cap on it but that is for a later day and pics.

Although the Console fits right in, it took a lot more tweaking to fit properly than I originally thought. in the pics below you can see how the passenger side panel wouldn't clip on properly. I figured out in the front the bottom was being pulled out too much by the transmission tunnel. I spent at least an hour trimming and fitting to get it to work. I had to trim off a big piece that stuck out in the front center and I trimmed the rear base so it would sit more level and use the stock rear mounting steel plate as a locator.

Still need to get the gauge cluster mounted better and make it look cleaner so you can't see all the wires from the side. Will wait for the 3D Printer to get up and running to try something.

For the rest of the winter I just have odds and ends at this point

Pics if you can see them.....

With ill fitting side panel
    IMG_20171228_170150.jpg

After Trimming.....

IMG_20171228_173540.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Bill, I just finished reading your build thread from start to end. It’s taken me three days to do it. This story has me motivated to do some work on my car.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Maybe it's my desktop Bill, but I can't see any pics. I'm using Chrome on this machine. Going to try IE.
    Went to MS Edge, still can't see them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks! If you have any questions let me know. I don't have the skills that a lot if the guys on here have in the welding and body work Dept but I do enjoy what I can do. I appreciate you looking through the thread and am glad you can still see the Photobucket pics...not sure why when almost everyone else's don't work. Better check that they didn't charge me $500.....

I can't see the pics on my phone anymore. I don't think it is you. I need to figure this out. Photomucket made a real mess of things.

7. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    PICS UPDATED IN PRIOR POSTS!

Got a little more details done on the console and decided to start a new project as well. My package tray is a complete mess and I hate looking in through the back window so I decided to pull it out. Follow along through the pics below.....

Complete view of the console...
    IMG_20171229_171501.jpg

IMG_20171229_171451.jpg

I set the e-brake handle hole as a cell phone holder. First I cut up a black t-shirt and filled in the gaps inside the console with it. Then I took a peice of the aluminum insulation I used under the carpet and folded it up and wrapped it in black tape. I put that down in the hole to give the phone something to rest on and insulate it from the eat coming through the transmission tunnel. I had to use my phone to take the pic so the pliers are a proxy!
    IMG_20171229_161949.jpg

Next I put the stock gen 5 shifter boot on but didn't want to and couldn't use the Gen 5 handle. That leaves the bezel at the top of the boot looking unfinished. I took a piece of plastic that I cut away from the side panel and shaped it as a cap to give it a more finished look. When I have more time I will craft one out of aluminum bar stock but I don't have the time or tools set up to do that. So i painted the plastic with the Chrome paint stick I found (post in interior section) and after 3 coats it looks pretty good. I am waiting for the paint to dry before I mount it up, but pics below so far on what I did so far.

IMG_20171229_171303.jpg
    IMG_20171229_171350.jpg
    IMG_20171229_171341.jpg

IMG_20171230_091330.jpg

Here is the current state of the package tray. I think it is a repro I bought during my first resto. I did not survive the passage of time. It had a mesh cover on the top that was pulling away in spots making it look all wrinkly and the cardboard is all wavy...I bought some 1/8" masonite and before I try and cover it with vinyl I am going to first try spraying it with undercoating and then covering it with SEM satin clear. If the color of the undercoat is off I will first paint it with SEM black to match the rest of the interior. Still trying to figure out what to do with the speaker cut outs as I can't find the speaker grills that came with them. I may buy new speakers.....The hardest part was taking the blower out to get the grill off, getting up into that trunk to get at the screws is torture...

IMG_20171230_143247.jpg

IMG_20171230_143303.jpg

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Lookin good Bill. I can't believe you're out there in that cold garage. I give you a lot of credit. Can't remember, did you get it fired yet?

9. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am on a roll and have the energy so I am going for it! Yes, car fired, let it idle up to temp, 180* (garage door open!) thermostat opened and I made the adjustments the instructions said to make and shut it off. Next time it fires up will be the spring. It is up on a Kwiklift and it is not coming down till the weather changes.

I just keep burning propane and layer up! The next round of work on the package tray I can do in the basement with a couple of trips for fitting. I am busy ruminating on how to do the rear speaker screens or whether to just buy a new pair since these are 20 years old anyway.

10. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    When I got my car, the PO had already cut them out and put 6x9 speaker grills in. Looks good to me.