1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Aussie78Z28

Aussie78Z28 Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Hey mate. Any chance you could take a photo of the park brake light activation switch for me please? Mine is disconnected and I cannot work out what actually pushes the switch to break the circuit (ie nothing is connected to it??). Cheers

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sure, but it just screws to the park8ng brake assembly/bracket and when you push the brake down it pushes the plunger....will take a pic later.

Aussie78Z28 likes this.
  3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I went out and bought 5ft of some more nickel copper line from Advance Auto Parts. I was able to get the line run along the back of the core support and up to the charcoal canister area. I used about 6" of rubber line between the hard line and fuel pump to allow for engine movement. So finally got it!

All the plumbing is done. All the wire connections have been identified and I have figured out where to run them. Need to finish up the connections and throttle linkage. I also went out and got an AC Delco temp sender as the guys on Team Chevelle said the one that comes with the sniper tends to be inaccurate or fail. I am going to get that installed tomorrow I hope.

No pics, phone got wet and it is drying in a bag of rice right now!

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    You sure have got a lot done lately Bill. More than I expected. So I guess the boat is on the back burner for now?

5. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    On the boat I have been working on painting and assembling the interior. I want it all to be removable so it is easy to add ballast and get at the batteries and driveline etc. The original design doesn't provide for that so I am working out a solution using rare earth magnets to hold it all together. I need to wait until it is glassed to finish it.

The goal is to fiberglass the hull this week! I would like to fire the motor on the car and have glassing done by January 2nd!

Going to try and finish electrical work on the EFI today.

6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Electric work DONE! I need to re-route and zip tie a few wires but I got it all wired today. Bolted the throttle body down and connected the throttle cable. Should take about a 1/2 day to finish up the rest.....

Install temp sensor
    Flush hard lines
    Check all connections
    Connect battery
    Configure computer
    Connect Vacuum lines
    Fire it up!

Merry Xmas to All!

7. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow, no one has posted a project update for over 24 hrs....what does that say about me?!?!

I dodged a big bullet that I had no idea was out there. I was under the car trying to figure out how to put the clutch return spring back on (see below for more) and I was staring up into the engine compartment and I see the nut that holds the z bar to the clutch is backed almost all the way off! Yikes......I put some thread locker on it and put it back on...close one, it was about three turns from falling off and I could spin it with my fingers....might wap it out for a nylon lock nut later.....

I finished everything on the Snipe this afternoon! I just need to pre-fill the power surge with fuel and connect the power. Then do the initial set up and check for leaks and we should be good to go!

I have a question on my clutch return spring and where it goes....I took it off and I cant remember how it goes back on....I put it back on but before I took it off it wrapped around the header, and now I was able to get a straight shot with it....I am not sure if I just wasn't thinking before or I have it on wrong....I will post the question and pics in the transmission section.

Its 20* here, if it fires tomorrow in the cold it will be darn impressive. We'll see....

8. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well everything is done. I set up the computer turned the key and all I got was a click at the solenoid.....Nothing else......aaaargh.

Battery has been disconnected since I started the install. I connected it a couple of times for just a few minutes to verify power to certain wires.....

The battery is fully charged

I am going to ask my questions in the engine section if anyone is watching and can help me out.....

9. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Update! Bad connection at the starter wire to battery. User error! Got it fixed, turned the key and it started right up. No leaks runs awesome. Remember, 20 ish degrees here, that doesn’t happen with Holley Carb!

Too cold to drive it and get it to start learning. I have a few questions I am going to post over on the Chevelle website.

Get the console in next and then check my to do list from there.

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    That's great Bill! Didn't like my suggestion of smack starter with hammer, huh? lol. It's gonna stay cold here for a good while. Bet you're chomping at the bit.