1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Looks great . Im now considering the same set up for my car.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just some small progress this weekend. I did some wiring for the console. I have the switched power wired and the grounds lined up. The power distribution block is mounted behind the shifter on the front of the cup holder assembly. I need to find a place for the ground block and wire up the existing the cig lighters to the block. I am adding a 2 USB charging ports, one in the console box where the headset input was and one on the side of the console. I also have a USB extension from the head unit so I can connect my phone directly to the head unit.

When I finish the wiring and mounting all the charging ports pictures to come. This is an easy but time consuming job with all the wiring. If you don't want charging ports it is a 1-2hr job.

3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have done nothing new on the console so no updates there. However, as the weather has gotten cooler and it has become a bigger pain to get the car running and warmed up I have turned to the fuel injection install.

I have run the first hard line down the driver's side frame, past the header, behind the cross member and back up over the cross member on the passenger side to the fuel pump.

I made a dopey move and left my spring/ coil bending tool on the line when I made one if the last bends in the pipe with a right angle tool. Now I can't get it off and need to cut it off. D'oh!

I need to run the lines to the throttle body and the 1/4" return line from the surge pump. Also, will add the spring hard line covers this weekend. I can pull the carb and hook everything up. I just got the last of the fittings I needed from summit so maybe this weekend I can get the plumbing finished.

Pics and comments below.
    [​IMG]

Running along the frame below the upper control arm

[​IMG]

The turn behind the header and down toward the back of the cross member

[​IMG]

Down the frame rail with the turn towards the back of cross member....bending tool stock on...D'oh!

[​IMG]

Behind cross member

[​IMG]

Turn up over the cross member with the turn towards the front of the car and fuel pump.

[​IMG]

The run past the fuel pump. Waiting to cut it to length once all the other connections are made and I am ready to cut over from carb to sniper...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

5. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes. Nice stuff. I practiced doing a few flares and it seems to flare well. I have Rigid AN flaring tool.

6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    More work today on the Sniper.

I had to reinstall the Power Surge mounting bracket to the core support. I had used sheet metal screws to hold it on and they had vibrated loose. I drilled it through and used 1/4-20 bolts with nylon lock nuts. I also put some rubber between the bracket and core support to reduce vibration. I also had to move the bracket down on the mounting board so the hood didn't hit the fittings when it closed.

I got the feed line connected to the throttle body and all the bends made to clear everything. I started working on the return lines and the hook up at the TB but have a few more bends to go. Once those lines are hooked up then I will move on to the connections at the power surge. The O2 Sensor is installed and hooked up so all good to go there.....a few pics below.

I CAN"T GET IMGUR pics to post right now....will try again later....oh well.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  7. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    IMGUR still not working on here....

Plumbing is almost all done. I made a bendy twisty mess of my return line and it looks like cr@p but it will function so I am not messing with that until after the Sniper is installed and running and the console is finally in...so probably this time next year.

I had to move the Power surge mount again as the front reinforcement bar was in the way of all the connections and that ate up several hours of the day with all the plumbing adjustments. I thought I would have it done today but too many little glitches ate up the day.

Next weekend the wiring, new 180* thermostat and new temp sender to install. I have to re-do and re-route all the wiring for the MSD, AC idle up, kill switch and other items to try and get it a little cleaner neater and safer so nothing gets pinched. The Sniper has 2 main harnesses plus the O2 sensor, hand held and temp sender sensor so more stuff to figure out where to tuck away.

Wish I made more progress as I would like to have it back on the road while we still have some decent weather but any progress is good progress.