1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Switched everything to IMGUR...now I have to go back and rebuild my thread. Good news though, Sniper came in! I am not hugely impressed with the finish and casting quality but I guess all that matters is how it works! It is going to be a few weeks before I can start installation due to other commitments though.

[​IMG]

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
  3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I took my console to get recovered. He could do it but wouldn't mail it back to me and he needed three weeks. I think I am going to cover it in Fiberglass and then Carbon fiber. I posted in the Interior section to see if anyone has done something similar but no response.

Working on figuring out supplies now.....

However, First priority fuel injection!

4. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I made a post on whether I should try fiberglassing my Console and then covering with Carbon fiber in the Interior section. Long story short someone suggested the 5th Gen console which I could never find reasonably priced but xten turned me up one for $100. I test fit it today without the side panels. Fits perfectly and if I make a new gauge holder I can fit that back in as well. Pics below without shifter boot (don't mind all the junk in the car still working on other stuff in there), looking forward to seeing it with a shifter which I need to find ASAP!. That is the only thing that didn't come with it...it is still dirty in these pics but I just cleaned it up and it looks much better.

Full shot:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

First Gear:
    [​IMG]

Second Gear:

[​IMG]

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Glad to see it's got cup holders Bill. Did you ask them about a boot? Really cool they're sending you the pigtails. That way if it has to be removed, you can just unplug it! Looks like it was made for it. I like it.

6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Looks great after I cleaned it up. They didn't have the boot. I have been searching and haven't found one yet. They were supposed to call me about the pigtails but I didn't hear back so I will call again Monday. They will make a wiring a lot easier. See you tomorow, I plan to be there around 12:30 or 1 right now as I need to do some stuff in the AM.

7. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Looks good, I haven't totally finished the install of my 5th gen console but it's been in the car for a while. I have to say I am super happy having cup holders and was surprised how well it fit, I think you'll be very happy with it.

8. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I drove the car for a couple if hours today and even though it was just resting in the car it was great to have a solid arm rest and cupholders! awesome upgrade!

I need to figure out if I can drop the rear down a bit. It looks like I would have to cut off the stock console mounting bars or somehow notch the console.

9. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I actually trimmed the back of mine and dropped it down a while back. The way the bottom of the console is designed it was pretty easy and I'm pretty sure I documented it on my thread, if not I think I have pictures if you need them.

10. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    A little more work on the console. I trimmed the base a little and have figured out how to get it to fit snugly. Here it is pic by pic. Install is super easy and can be done like it is "factory". I have my shifter boot which I found on Ebay for $35. I need to do some MacGyvering to get it to fit properly over the shifter lever. The sides of the panel don't fit tightly to the tranny hump so I just need to put some padding in from the inside to get the carpet to lay nicely against the sides.

Below you can see where I trimmed off the tabs at the back of the console on the bottom. I also trimmed back the frame that runs along the back by about 3/8". The idea is to cut it back enough so when you drop the console in it will rest against the rear mount on the tranny hump. Pics further down will illustrate. Next step is to mount up some additional USB and 12V charging ports and then permanently install the console and the shifter boot.

[​IMG]

The raised area marked in red will get some of the 3M heavy duty plastic snap style Velcro.
    that rests on top of the front mount on the tranny hump.

[​IMG]

Now you slide the console in under the dash and push it as far forward as it will go until the console mounts drop in front of the rear mount on the tranny and the notched part sits on top of the mount. At this point you could use the mounting holes and screw it down to the tranny tunnel. I don't want to drill holes in mine and introduce another opportunity for rust so that's where the 3m Velcro comes in and is mounted to the front mount and the bottom of the console. Let the tape stick for awhile so it forms a bond so it doesn't pull off when you take the console in and out. That will hold it on place without any screws.
    [​IMG]

Here's the console installed and mounted but you can see the gap in the carpet and console. In the next pic you will see where I stuffed in some padding to fill it out. Now it looks factory. I am going to put some regular Velcro on the inside of the side panel to hold the carpet to the panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is how I trimmed the side panel up front to go around the AC box. When you trim it, make sure you leave the mounting tabs along the top where you can. There is a small plastic tab you want to keep. The gap is a little bigger than I wanted up front but through the trial and error process it wound up too big. It is way under the dash and unless your head is under there you can't see it.

[​IMG]