1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not sure yet! I need to disconnect the gauges which is several hours of work between draining the antifreeze and disconnecting the oil pressure line and crawling around under the dash to feed the wires and tubing. I may do the final mock up next weekend but don't want to take the car out of commission tomorrow in case I don't have time to get ot back together. Always takes longer than you think!

I am pretty sure I will be able to see them, they don't really sit that far back. The space in front will be useful for something small, maybe a phone or wallet at best but I had them flush mounted before and I really wanted them set back.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Mine are mounted right in front of that place using original style dash type screws. You can build rings that tilt the gauges out and up slightly to be better seen. I built mine out of aluminum.But you could also use wood or any other material you are comfortable with. I have a 6:" cowl hood on my car .So I mount my fuel pressure and boost gauges there. I have also seen people mounted on the wind shield pillar.

Attached Files:

3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am not sure where you mean? Mine are going in that little cubby in the stock console set back about 3 inches. I had to cut holes in the back/bottom for the gauges and wires to clear.

My metal working skills and tools are non existent. Right now I am working with a dremel cutoff wheel to make everything fit! I did take my oil pressure gauge out test fit it in the console and wood carrier but not with the bracket in place. After carving out the aluminum to clear the holes I think the bottom of the mounting bracket is going to hit the gauge. If I have time I will check it later.

Pictures a little later today of the modifications to the bracket and a better shot of where the gauges will mount.

4. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It didn't take too long....removed the oil gauge and test fit with the bracket on...had to grind a whole bunch away but it fits now, so I just need to jb weld the blind nuts and I am ready to cut the carbon fiber face. I also need to relocate one of the mounting holes on the end of the bracket as I had to cut it away to get it to fit. The bad news is I dropped the gauge and dented the trim ring. Sent an email to Autometer to see if I can get a new trim ring. It looks like you can pry it off and a new one would just snap on, but let's see what they say. Getting close.....

After this, I need to finalize the power connections and see what I can come up with for a cell phone holder. I may ask the upholstery guy to make a pocket for it. I have a spare ashtray somewhere so I am thinking of coming up with a way to mount a cell phone holder to the ashtray face.

Here it is with all the bracket modifications:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Lookin good Bill! Autometer has the offset rings that Zspoiler was talking about, if you're interested. I used them on mine, and think they made a big difference in looks and visibility. Angled up and to the left. They're cheap. (I think $11 and some change?) That's gonna look good in there.

6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I found my spare ashtray in the attic pretty quickly so I scuffed it up and painted it. Ordering a magnetic cell phone holder from amazon to mount to the front. You can sort of see when I painted it where the spot is that the gray paint came off but it won't matter since it is just a spare and the mounting plate will cover it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    While I was up in the attic I found an old fuel tank and it reminded me to figure out the return lines for my fuel injection. I wanted to see if I can use the old vent line which is larger than the 1/4" stock return line....posted in the high tech retrofits section. Feel free to answer here or there if you can help!

http://www.nastyz28.com/threads/return-line-for-fuel.313118/

8. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Going to try google photos and slowly try and recreate my threads. Photobucket still works for me but who knows for how long.

I got a magnetic cell phone mount, I really like it. I mounted it to my ashtray. You put a super thin steel plate either on the back of the phone or in between the phone case and the phone which is what I did. Holds very tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
  10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI