1978 LT Progress pictures by Elpres

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Elpres, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Elpres

Elpres Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Denmark
    Camaro 1978 LT
    Matching numbers

IF UR JUST INTO PICTURES, THEN CLICK HERE NO BS; JUST PICTURES
    NOTE: It might take a while to load the page, but its all the pictures posted in this thread.

feb 2005 (just bought it) aprox. 3000 us$
    [​IMG]

jun 2007 (moving it into the garage)
    [​IMG]

nov 2007 (stripping the front)
    [​IMG]

aug 2008 (stripping the rear)
    [​IMG]

sep 2008 (horrorfying!!!!!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    Where are you from Denmark? I travelled there about 4 years ago. Copenhagen was expensive, but outside of that city, the country was awesome.

Good to see another restore of a 78 LT. Some parts are exclusive to 1978 such as the hood release. So make sure you take care of that item.

Good luck.

3. Elpres

Elpres Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Denmark

hey there.

I live aprox 15 miles from copenhagen, and I work there and goes to copenhagen everyday. Why did u go to denmark, just vacation? did u have a good time?

I dident know that part about the hood release, but I found out that my LT has special trim and a glovebox lamp.. lol

let me know if u know eny other good stuff :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  4. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    My friend is a Dane who lives in Copenhagen, about 5K north of the Zoo, same street. I enjoyed the country.

Yes, that hood release was only used on 1978 models and is hard to replace. The plastic cracks around the cable, water seeps in and can rust the cable. I was lucky to bought a 'new' old stock part on eBay here in the US. My original cable seized because the plastic housing cracked.

The Type LT emblems are only for that year and are impossible to find. The grill emblem and fuel door emblem are also impossible to find. It was the only year the colors were red, white, and blue. Lastly the 3 piece rocker panel chrome was also unique to the Type LT; although earlier Type LT's, 1977 for example, had the same 3 piece rocker panel chrome.

Not sure if you are going to restore this as an Type LT or custom. You can check out pictures of my car if you wish:

http://s416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/verruckt78/Camaro/

Do you have the 5 litre or 5.7 litre?

5. Elpres

Elpres Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Denmark
    I luckily have both emblems, even though the studs are broken.. I did wonder about the colors on them, but couldent find any information about that. The 3 piece rocker panels are gone, but i do have a rear stabilizer, it seems that its an extra option.
    According to the VIN its a 5,7l, and since its a matching numbers car, I believe it.. :)
    Ur car is really really beautyfull, and so original.. I envy u very much, maybe I should restore mine back to original aswell..
    What are u working on now? do u have a new project?

6. West Texas Z

West Texas Z Veteran Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    wow, thats gonna be a tuff project. But even more rewarding in the end!

7. Ls1smlblck

Ls1smlblck Veteran Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Jacksonville, Fl
    lots o rust, but stick with it :)

8. Elpres

Elpres Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Denmark
    Yeah,, the rear end did surprise me a bit, all the rust has been hiding underneath the 3 piece spoiler and above the fueltank.. but im just taking it bit by bit.. the only thing is that I dont have easy access to any sheetmetal parts, so I have to bend and twist it all from plain pieces of sheet metal. But im still totally up for it... :) thanks for the reply :bowtie:

btw: nice rides u have... i love that yellow color..

9. Elpres

Elpres Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Denmark
    25 sep 2008

(out of the way)
    [​IMG]

(almost stripped down)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  10. Elpres

Elpres Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Denmark
    27-09-2008

(engine removal)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought i could pull the engine, without having to remove the headers, now i know thats not an option, atleast not with full length headers.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009