1978 fuel delivery trouble

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Timbone, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Timbone

Timbone New Member

Aug 22, 2015
    New York
    Hello boys and girls. I just joined this site looks very helpful I just bought a 78 camaro lt type got it for a great deal. I'm having trouble with fuel delivery I changed the fuel filter at the carb changed the fuel pump. No change, fuel not getting to the fuel pump. I was wondering what to do next . IE drop the tank,check the fuel lines, Please help any info would be helpful.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Before you drop the tank... Check the rubber connection to the fuel line near the tank, it could be rotted or kinked.

If that looks good...
    There is a filter (sock) on the inlet to the fuel feed line inside the tank... If there's no fuel getting to the pump (and there's fuel in the tank) it almost has to be that filter.

Good Luck

3. Timbone

Timbone New Member

Aug 22, 2015
    New York
    Thank you. I will check it out and let you know

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I usually blow in the line to see if I can hear it bubbling in the tank. Then I will hook a mightyvac to it and try to suck some gas out. If a rubber line is bad you should be able to hear the vacuum hissing.

5. Timbone

Timbone New Member

Aug 22, 2015
    New York
    Thanks for all the help. It was the rubber hoses in the rear near the tank and the ones under the passenger door. All were dry rotted and cracked replaced all and had to crank the engine for a full minute then it turned over. Again thank you for your advice.

6. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    Fwiw

Personally, I find it's usually the loose nut behind the wheel:)

Welcome to Nasty stick around, there's refreshments later.

7. Timbone

Timbone New Member

Aug 22, 2015
    New York
    Your welcome.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I find that the nut that holds the steering wheel causes other problems like wrecked cars and such.