1978 Camaro Restoration

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by CDesperado, Mar 16, 2012.

  1. CDesperado

    CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    3,287
    1
    Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Sorry man! You must have posted this while I was out of town and I missed it.

    So after months and months of work interferring with my progress, I finally reached a major milestone on a work project last week. I still have a few weeks of things to wrap up, but I dont have to put in 70 hours a week anymore. And my crew will be doing most of the heavy lifting from now on.

    I am now making a final push on the car to get her to the interior shop. Sometimes I feel like this car is fighting me along each step. I mounted the dash, then mounted the AC, but the controls are in wrong so when I put the fan speed on low, it blows high, and vice versa. I also apparently knocked a wire loose somehow because know the wipers wont come on.

    Once I get these minor details sorted out, I will be set. I have the radio mounted and working correctly. Im about to do some test fits with the gauge cluster to make sure it is clearing the AC hose. Its been months since I even had a chance to crawl inside it, so Im about to go outside and make a list of other items that may need to be completed.

    I did test the backup camera and everything is working correctly there. The field of view is amazing, particularly considering the camera itself is barely noticeable. I'm going to post up some shots of that soon.
     
  2. 57Plymouth

    57Plymouth Veteran Member

    1,078
    3
    Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
  3. CDesperado

    CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    3,287
    1
    Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Hey guys! Sorry it's been awhile. The car kept fighting me a bit throughout Sept/Oct, but I am making headway! (Thanks again Brian on the advice for the timing issue...she purrs like a tiger now!)

    Well, the good news is that I finally mounted the gauge cluster in, which was a major step forward. Everything works. Bad news is that there is some kind of issue going on inside the cluster that is causing light to bleed over into the right turn signal area. It's hard to describe, but it looks very strange in low light. Like, really strange. I considered leaving it like it is, but my OCD is kicking in and I have to fix it.

    Another issue I had was the restored speedo looks strange with the light not showing up thru the gauge. I didn't think I would care about it, but it looks really odd at night since the other gauges are "lit" and that one isn't. ....so I'm going to swap that out with a repop OER speedometer since I will have the cluster out anyway. Unfortunately that will require me to also replace the speedo cable since OER made the repop with a screw in back rather than a clip-in back.

    So...two steps forward, three steps back. It sucks, but MAN I want to drive this car!

    The engine is all dialed in and sounds great. I think I may be running a little rich, so I need to check on that this weekend. I also accidentally discovered one of my brake lines is sitting too close to (actually resting against) the exhaust, so I need to re-route it a little bit so it doesn't melt.

    I finished the seat wiring harnesses and am very happy about that!

    I am moving my website to a new cloud server so the pics may be down a few days while I work out some kinks. My goal is to take it to the alignment shop next week for the front end (assuming the gauge issues are sorted out), then we are interior shop bound!
     
  4. 73BadBob

    73BadBob Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    925
    2
    May 29, 2008
    san Antonio, Texas
    project

    You will get there. Time and patience. 6 years from start to finish and the last year was all little issues like you are dealing with right now.
     
  5. CDesperado

    CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    3,287
    1
    Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Man, the little things are just killing me. Work is slowing down a slight bit, so I am hoping to sort this out soon. I bummed I missed Christmas, again.

    I've bummed into other little issues too. Like the fuse connector for the the amp just snapped in half and I have no idea why. It was not under tension or anything.

    The center caps on the wheels present a challenge too, as the wilwood caps are about 1/16th too tall and are preventing the caps from locking into place. The tabs are spring steel, so grinding them 20 of these tabs down will be interesting. (I have to do them all or I would never be able to rotate the tires.) I'm considering grinding off the whole tab and using a dab of red Loktite to attach the caps.
     
  6. hot72rod

    hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

    Could you just ding in the wildwood cap a little to get the clearance you need?
     
  7. CDesperado

    CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    3,287
    1
    Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Unfortunately no... but I did consider sticking it on lathe and shaving the metal down. The problem is, we would need to shave off so much I think I would penetrate the metal cap.

    It's actually something Im going to look at more closely tmrw to see how much I need to remove. I hate to just glue it on, but it may be the simplest solution.
     
  8. 57Plymouth

    57Plymouth Veteran Member

    1,078
    3
    Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
  9. CDesperado

    CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    3,287
    1
    Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    It's probably nearly 1/8" I need to remove... It's a lot.
     

Share This Page