1977 Z28

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by rich m, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    >I wonder if any rpo "close-ratio 4 speeds were installed in ANY camaros between

I hesitate to say "none" because that's pretty concrete.
    Gear ratios on the 1977 Camaro range between 2.56, 2.73 & 3.08.
    None of those justify or require the close-ratio.

Then comes the Z28. 3.42 (automatic) or 3.73 (4-speed). So now the M21 comes into play.

There's a G92 "performance axle" available. But you can't put it on a Z28, and if you put it on anything else, you get the 3.08 gear.

2. rhinehart 1977 RS LT

rhinehart 1977 RS LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2005
    Frewsburg, New York, USA
    I believe..........

that the only thing "Type LT" on the 77 Z28 was the interior with some other minor items. I have never said "that you could NOT order a Z28 package on an LT Model rather.......ADD LT interior to a Z28 Base Model". You will note that the dash is also LT simulated leather. The window crank caps were just along for the ride with the "Deluxe LT" interior. Two of my 77 Z28's have the Black Deluxe vinyl LT interior. They both have the simulater leather dash. Only one has power windows and it has the LT caps. I have another friend in California that ordered and bought his 77 Z28 new. He has the Black vinyl deluxe LT interior with power windows and it has the LT window crank caps. I also have friend in Canada that order a White 77 Z28 new with the Buckskin Cloth Deluxe LT interior (and that car was a 4 Speed).

So I don't believe that its a "Z28 LT" (both base models combined).....but rather a Z28 with the Deluxe LT interior.

Now according to Walter Banacki's book "Z28 is Back" he talks about the original Pace Car being an LT Model Customers car that was pulled from the production line and then used to make the Pace Car. Also talks about installing LT interiors on the other 18 cars that went to Daytona. I would have to dig out the book to check but I recall that at one point the had to halt production of the 18 because they had to switch out the interiors to the LT as stated on the order to make the cars for Daytona.

In my converations with Walt..........his daughter recalls the Pace Car as having the LT Buckskin Cloth interior (not Black LT vinyl). She owned the Pace Car for a handful of years after her father sold it to her.

The White 77 Z28 in the GM Heritage collection has the Black LT vinyl interior.

3. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    Change the word "LT Interior" to Custom interior - and it becomes more clear.

The custom interior could be had on the base model.
    The custom interior is Standard on the Type LT.

Z54 interior decor/quiet sound option - gets you the simulated leather guage cluster bezel.
    This option is available on all camaros, and again, it's standard on the Type LT.

Sounds like the plan was to try and push uplevel interior onto the Z28, while it wasn't required. So joe-performance could simply check the "z28" box and get a cheap screamer. But they wanted to steer you into a highly optioned, expensive car if possible. but it wasn't required.

4. hilleriffic

hilleriffic New Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I have a 77-Z28. I'm new to this site and am not sure really how it all works here. I'd love to post some pictures of her since she's going up for sale. Can anyone help me?

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Welcome aboard. Will be looking forward seeing your pics.

Here's some help for you http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90720

6. 77 rs

77 rs Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2011
    cape may county, n.j.
    Will check my gm books tonight for the rpo # for the close-ratio. I guess it was only possibly available a few weeks (dec '76 - jan '77) as a seperate option before it was automatically changed to be ijn the Z-28 and not be able to be ordered seperately. Wonder how accurate these gm books were? When I ordered my RS in mar '77, I never even knew about the Z and it was not in the folder. These were probobly still the 1st printing ones.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    This is on my GM Paperwork about the M21 for my 77 Z28 from the GM Vintage group in Oshawa.

NUMBER IMPORTED FOR SALE IN CANADA:
    (SAME MODEL NO. ONLY) 12,111 ( 1,851 with Z/28; 782 with M21 )

8. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

That's so nice it's unreal. I'd be proud of that interior.

9. 77 rs

77 rs Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2011
    cape may county, n.j.
    '77 z-28 interiors- According to the dealer order guide revised 4/15/77 4 interiors are available. Vinyl bucket,custom vinyl bucket,sport cloth bucket,custom cloth bucket

10. rhinehart 1977 RS LT

rhinehart 1977 RS LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2005
    Frewsburg, New York, USA
    MadMike makes a good point.
    Considering the "1977 Z28 Camaro Trim Selections" order guide calls it "Custom Cloth Bucket EUS2" and "Custom Vinyl Bucket XBB2 (XUS2, XWB2)" Custom Interior makes a lot of sense. The Cloth variation of the standard round top seats is called "Sport Cloth Bucket JUS2".

Another couple pictures for Kenny77........I just love the White Z28 with the Buckskin Cloth and Gold Stripes:bowtie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.