1977 Z28

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by rich m, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich m

rich m Veteran Member

Nov 18, 2002
    rhode island
    Anyone here a real buff on this model? I ordered one brand new back then, and have collected quite a bit of literature on this mid-year reintroduction model. Just wanted to see who else was out here.

2. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Reno NV,
    I remmember when the first Car N Driver report came out on them before they were released. I always wanted one, and after77 they got all the tacky stuff that trans Ams had fender fliars, hood scoops, break vents the thing I liked about the 77 is it still looked like a camaro. It took a long time but I own one now and its funny as its been repainted and has none of the decals so most people dont believe its a Z28. I also like the fact that there is a lot less of them the rest of the second generations z28's after is was brought back.

3. rich m

rich m Veteran Member

Nov 18, 2002
    rhode island
    Hi! Nice to see a relpy! What color is your car? Stick or auto? I've had a copy of that C & D issue for years. Great color pic's in it. Have about a dozen road test articles from the day. Always thought that the stripes were very low key and tasteful for the period (remember the Pontiac Can Am & Trans Am stickers? The awful Road Runner decals, etc. ?) but I'll bet the Z looks even cleaner without the decals.

4. ReD-DaWg-OnE

ReD-DaWg-OnE Veteran Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Bakersfield, CA
    I currently own a '77 Z28 4 Speed... i love it right now it is yellow with 2 black stripes... i plane on painting it the organl color which was red. and i want to put the decal kit on.

5. nwz28

nwz28 Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2001
    New York
    Rich, I also have a '77 Z-28 which I bought in 1979. It's a white automatic, with gold stripes and a buckskin cloth interior with 57,000 miles. You can see pictures of it in MadMike's "Featured cars" which is accesible from the main page. It is mostly original execpt the original owner took all the emissions stuff, intake, valve covers etc. off of it. I'm currently collecting parts to return it to it's original state.
    I also collect articles, magazines and any parts which are specific to that model.
    I too saw that Car & Driver in 1977 and had to have one. I had to wait 2 years but I did get one.

6. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Clay,NY
    i have 2. both black/black. i've seen a few others over the years. looked at one last year but it was an obvious fake. it pays to know what you're looking at.

7. rich m

rich m Veteran Member

Nov 18, 2002
    rhode island
    I'd be curious to see what original magazine road test issues anyone has on the '77. I've got quite a collection myself, about a dozen titles. I'd be happy to list them if anyone wants to know what they are, and want to share what issues they might have. Let me know if there is interest.

8. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 17, 2003
    BC, Canada
    My '77 Z/28 is an original paint survivor car, complete with decals. It went into a garage in 1980, and stayed in storage until summer 2002. At that point, a guy I know bought it, set it up for some strip action (it ran 10.77/128 on the bottle with a 355" small block last year), then pulled the engine and trans to use in another drag car. That is where I came in. I bought the rolling chassis, installed a .060"-over 400 with ported Vortec heads and a TH400. Click on the link in my sig and you can see a few pics. I have to update it with some new pics since I'm now driving it on the wekends for some cruising and on Friday nights for our local dragstrips' street legal drags night.

I too like the unique look of the 1977 Z/28. They didn't make a lot of these cars relative to most other years of production of the Z. I also have the original bill of sale for my car. I'm quite happy with it, to say the least.

[​IMG]

------------------
    1977 Z/28
    12.45 @ 109.66 1.89 60'
    413" small-block, Vortec heads, TH400, 4:10's

9. Daniel

Daniel Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2000
    FL
    I have one, white bought from the original owner with original paint.

10. nwz28

nwz28 Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2001
    New York
    Rich, I am curious as to which articles you have. If you post a list, I will see how it compares to my collection. -Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.