1977 z28 Van Nuys 4 speeds?

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by boojswah64, Apr 18, 2016.

1. boojswah64

boojswah64 New Member

Feb 2, 2012
    atlanta
    Does anyone have a 77 z28 - 4 speed that was made in Van Nuys ? Does your cowl tag have a 8 in bottom line ? Does anyone know anything about the Batch code on last line far right on cowl tag?
    TY

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Don't expect to find the idenfying "8" on a '77 Z28. It appears that it either wasn't used on the '77 models at all, or used very late in production if at all. 1978 and later all seem to have it.

3. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Victoria, bc
    Mine was a factory 4speed 77 z28 from van nuys but it came with a th350 when I got it.
    Honestly I'm confused by the cluster of codes jammed onto the trim tag. Wasn't sure it was a z28 till I found the build sheet.

4. boojswah64

boojswah64 New Member

Feb 2, 2012
    atlanta
    Im trying to buy a car across the country from me but want to make sure its a real Z. Did lt , RS and base cars only come with 14" tires so that if this car im looking at has 15" tire sticker still on door that would be good indicator of a Z ? Anything other than build sheet can help me from afar ?

Thanks Guys

5. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Tire sticker would be indicator , it used the G series radial like the Corvette, unique to the Z28 that year . Although repop sticker might be available ?

The 4 spd Z28 got the aluminum cased Warner M21 . And it will have a partial vin stamped on the right side of case......to match the engine partial vin. A matched pair with correct code rear would indicate a Z28 drive train . The partial vins will be in the main vin. M21 was Z28 only. Lower performance Camaros had Saginaw transmissions.

The sway bar was larger in front than previous years. Air Cleaner had the large decal . If it was a four speed .....I think the only rear ratio was 3:73 .....it will have a code on the axle . The Z28 was the only Camaro that year to have the 3:73 and it will be a posi too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  6. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Victoria, bc
    There will be light in the glove box whice means its a lt, rs or z28.
    you can get reproduction stickers.
    I might be 3.42 on the rear like mine but that wasnt common and had to be requested. it will have a rear sway bar.
    Ever z28 ive seen here in Canada has had tall chrome valve covers and headers. That might have just been a popular mod up hear or a z49 (canada spec) thing. check under the seats for a build sheet ive found one about 30% of the time.

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    glove box light was part of the Z54 " interior decor / quiet sound " option which was standard on the Type LT model , but optional on all other camaros

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

A real Z came with 15' wheels and tire. A Super T-10 with 3:73 gears.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016