1977 Camaro Front end swap and cleaning up for paint.

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by demigodofa, Apr 18, 2017.

1. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Moooore block sanding. Found some low and high spots that I missed. I don't know how?? I've blocked the car a couple of times, Lol. The front end sheet metal is lined up now as good as it will go. I've heard the knock on repro steel parts and now I know what everybody means... The car is now down to 400 grit so I'm moving closer to painting. Laid the hood stripe (unconventional striping scheme I know. ) I just didn't like how 2 rally stripes looked going over the curves of the L88 hood. now I need to reverse tape the stripe do a bunch of taping/masking and cleaning and i'll be ready to shoot the rest of the body. I received the grille filler piece I am missing, (not the only part I'm missing unfortunately, Lol) and the quality is pretty disappointing. I am not afraid to do some work to the piece but a couple of the tabs the fiberglass did't get down to the gel coat, and basically the ONLY part of the piece that shows has to receive most of the work. That doesn't make sense. They should focus on making the front part of the part look good....

Attached Files:

Twisted72 likes this.
  2. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    I reverse taped the black stripes and painted the hood last night. I didn't want to paint the fenders and everything because I had to lean over them pretty good to un-tape the stripes prior to clearcoat. I ran into an issue of junk in my basecoat, followed up by sanding too soon, followed up by messing up the front of the hood, Lol. But I had to move forward and get the hood red. I can always take it off in the future and sand/repaint it. hopefully I'll paint the rest of the body tonight. After that just waiting on some parts to come tomorrow so I can mock up mu urethane nose (That needs allot of love)

Attached Files:

3. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Got the car all red, pushed it outside and started wet sanding, lots of work left to do... ut it's coming together.

Attached Files:

bodymanbill likes this.
  4. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Looks really good! Color sanding is a lot of work but it sure makes a huge difference. Looking forward to seeing it all back together.

5. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Thank you I appreciate it. After all of the hours welding and blocking I don't think I couldn't of color sanded. Plus I was SO careful to keep everything clean but my paint is just loaded with crap.

6. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Did some more wet sanding, when my arm got tired I moved on to fitting up the urethane nose to see how it looked. (It's in pretty bad shape, tears, deformation etc.) Wish I could afford a new one but this one will have to do for now. I'm happy with the swap so far. Ordered a bunch of parts from Classic Industries, It isn't cheap but the stuff comes pretty quick and is packed well. Everything I've bought from them so far is excellent quality. (Rally lights, grille pieces, side marker lights, window trim, weatherstripping etc.)

Attached Files:

7. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Urethane nose repaired. This 3M stuff people recommended works great!. Sands pretty easy and self levels. got the last of the small pieces painted, wet sanded in 2 stages and now 3/4 of the car is rubbed and polished. I missed a few spots with the wet sanding but I need to start working towards re-assembly and can worry about the fine tuning later.

Attached Files:

8. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Working towards assembly.

Attached Files:

9. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Urethane bumper and grille filler installed. looks good assembled. Fighting on all of the trim pieces mirrors, weatherstripping, handles locks etc.

Attached Files:

10. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    Damn you work fast, helluva job !