1977 Camaro Front end swap and cleaning up for paint.

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by demigodofa, Apr 18, 2017.

1. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Bought a 1977 Camaro with a few year old paint job that is cracking here and there, garage rash, bubbles coming through passenger door skin etc. Drivers door was sagging, previous owner drilled out the hinge and put a bolt in the bottom. So I pulled the fender to make aligning easier.... and the bottom of the fenders are rusted out, tops of the wheel wells were spotting through. Couldn't see bolting those back on, soooooo now the plan is to re-skin the passenger door, new inner wheel wells, fenders, split bumper front end, (already have upper and lower valance and radiator support, dig out the problems in the paint, possibly do something with the rear bumper and paint my first car ever.

Attached Files:

2. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Welcome to the group.

3. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Yay! Another big bumper...can't wait to see the progress!

4. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Won't be big bumper for long if everything goes good. Only had a couple minutes after work but got the window out and door off of the side I'm hoping to re-skin.

Attached Files:

5. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    You may give it a make over and a face lift...but in my books, it's still a big bumper ;)

6. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Thank you hot72 rod. I hear ya'. I love 'em all branbell...

7. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Well had a few more minutes after work today. Taped up to door opening to try and keep dust out of there. Separated the door skin from the door because there was a couple rust bubbles on the bottom by the corner. Aaaand that has a rotted area. The rest of the door frame is perfect. Does anyone know if they make a patch panel for these? Anyway I'll stare at it more tommorow.

Attached Files:

8. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    They do make a bottom inner patch panel.... It costs more than the door skin!!! Forget that, I'll try to piece it back together myself.

9. Carolina Man

Carolina Man Member

Mar 18, 2017
    OK
    Welcome and you have a great project. I will be following along.

10. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Well, sold the front end, there's no going back now!