1975 Z28

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by rare75, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rare75

rare75 Guest

Hello all, I have a question about a Camaro I bought in October. I'm not one for supposition, first off, but I do have reason to believe I found the missing Z28. The story is in my profile, but I will include some brief details. The car has the following options; A01,B37,B93,C24,C60,D35,D55,D80,G80,LM1,M40,U14,U58,U80,ZJ9,Z86. According to some documentation I received from the owner, it also has D88BLK, and Auth#GSD842 RGJ Start>COPO 11/74--PILOT:N/A GM-CMDE ORDER S-76-43 PROD RUN 3-7/75 S-Z28RPO-7/74---ATTN. RECORDS DEPT; PRE-TEST/ACID DISPOSITION FILED 8/1/75--*NOT FOR PRODUCTION USE* 9/76-----PRIVATE CARRIER. Car was built 3rd week of July 1975, if that helps. I bought it from a woman who took it from her husband (a Cincinnati Zone executive) in a divorce in 1977. She consequently never used it (garaged 28 years), and it has 41,660 miles on it. When I bought it she said she had it repainted (why?) in 1999, and the back seats were disheveled and headliner down. When I asked what was up, she said her ex-husband wanted to look through the car for anything he may have "forgotten". Well, turns out he took out a "piece of paper" from the back seat. I'm guessing the paint job was to get rid of the stripes. Without the stripes or build sheet, I'm sunk. Oh and her ex told me he has a "special motor" that was never installed, an L82 1975 Corvette engine that matches the VIN. He told me he's going to deck the pad and sell it as NOS. Grrrr. If you want pictures of the car or documents I have, I'll send them. One is dated May 14,1975 from an Asst Zone Manager, and one from the owner himself dated May 9,1975 from the dealership of delivery. So what is this car? Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  2. moementum

moementum Veteran Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Wow, certianly looks interesting. That build sheet would have answered all the questions. I would completely tear the car apart and hope beyond hope that there's another. What engine is currently in the car? Can you contact her ex? He may give the stuff up for the right amount of cash.

3. rare75

rare75 Guest

follow-up

Thanks for the reply....It has the original matching LM1 350 in it. I did notice that the axle and trans match also, but the gears seem more like 3.42 than the 3.08 it's supposed to have. Also the trans shifts firm, like a modern shift-kit, but I know the car is exactly the way it was new, right down to the AM/FM stereo in the dash with the supplemental 8 track player. I do have the ex's number, but the last time I approached him about the car, he said he had nothing more that he could tell me. I asked why it was a secret...he hung up. Well I'll try again after New Years.

4. MR. FBDY

MR. FBDY Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2001
    hudson, NY
    Yeah, that does sound interesting. My only question is why would the guy take the build sheet? It is not worth anything to him. I would persist on getting more info if you still have the means of contact. Maybe explain to the guy you have great interest in the car and make him feel happy that you have it now instead of it being wrecked or rotting away.
    I would go thru the car with a microscope and try and find other ID marks. Sometimes they put build sheets in the passenger side seat under the buns and also they put them on top of the fuel tank. But in regards to the build sheet, I thought the only 1975 Z28 was for promotional purposes and since GM killed the Z28 before production, why would the car, even if it was the 1 Z28 for 1975 have a build sheet since it was not into assembly line production?

5. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    What are the last 6 digits of the vin....?

6. rare75

rare75 Guest

Hi, and thanks for the reply. Call me cynical, but I think his goal was to ensure that NO evidence of the car existed outside of GM's gates. I would suppose that he thought the build sheet MAY carry some kind of denotation as to its build and just made sure. Another interesting item I forgot was that the exhaust was replaced in 1999, and she noted that she only had one catalytic replaced, and she didn't want the other one done. This would lead me to believe that it had the cancelled dual catalytic system on it as well back then. As a GM executive which may or may not of had a "favor" done for him, it may not be in his interest to keep the car alive, hence why I think he evaded any pointed questions I had for him in our short conversation. Seems he was still bitter she took it from him...:p He said the Z28 wasn't killed, it was meerly being redesigned for the emissions regulations coming over the horizon, and put on hiatus. So you are correct, it wasn't a PRODUCTION car, it seems to be one ordered up as a Z28 version and had extras added as specified by his order. It would perfect sense to pick a production Camaro and just add the stripes from the parts bin. No emblems to make provisions for, just add on all of last years options plus Z86, slap the decals on, and away you go. On the actual order notice from May 9, 1975, for model it states "1FQ87CamaroSPO________S-76-43". I did check under the front seats for a sheet to no avail. The headliner, to my surprise, was a custom black cloth, similar to LT seat upholstery. When I removed it, (it was falling down anyway), a tag with an employees name and what appeared to be a clock number was under it. It was pretty obliterated by heat, but thats what it appeared to be. Could an exec have just ordered a Camaro optioned as a Z28 and had extras added? Back then, possibly I'm sure. It was probably pulled off the assembly line at the end, just as some special ones were during the first gen., and sent who knows where for completion. It was delivered to Zanesville Chevrolet in Newark, OH by enclosed trailer according to his ex-wife...not far from Norwood. Incidentally, the car does perform perfectly despite sitting since 77. A few rough spots, but better than I expected. These cars just last forever, at least out of road salt.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  7. rare75

rare75 Guest

He did tell me that they thought about bringing the Z back for the Bicentennial, but the engineers didn't have the new suspension worked out yet.

8. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    It's confusing.

A pilot car is usually the 1st string of vehicles done when the line is turned on. Very very low #'s. For example, one of our members has camaro #1... with a vin of 100001. That was a pilot car, and was give to smokey yunick? It wasn't "ordered"...

I'm also not sure if cars like this would be assigned a vin. For example, I'm familiar with a current GM project that's touring the country. And after 2 years or 1 or whatever, the car will be destroyed - because it doesn't have a legal vin. It's a "showcar" of sorts and isn't built to current DOT requirements. So it can't get out into the public domain.

Obviously the car in question is unique and was built for some big (or medium sized) cheese who knew the system. I doubt it's "the Z28" in question, but it's built like one, with the goodies forced onto the car via some internal process.

9. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2000
    NE PA
    RARE75, send me the pics you have as stated above. Interesting story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.