1974 Z28 with 979 miles...pretty cool.

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by clill, Oct 20, 2017.

1. vachevyman

vachevyman New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Danville, Va.
    74Z28-5.jpg Very nice and thanks so much for all the pix and your dedication. Wow. Showed all this to my wife who sold her 74 back in Jan 82 after we received and 82 Z that we ordered. bad decision....we have always regretted that move. Thanks again..

2. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2013
    SK, Canada
    I've often wondered when the changover to HEI occurred as well. My '74 Z has a production date of April 15/74, has the Borg Warner Trans, but has a points distributor (converted to electronic ignition many years ago).

3. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Those two changes were officially released Jan or early Feb 1974. It all came down to, use up current stockpile of parts (points and Muncie's) and when they run out install HEI and Borg Warner's on Z28's. Just because that official change was released doesn't mean it gets implemented then...only till parts are used up.
    My 74 TypeLTZ28 02B build has the points dist and Muncie m20. I am the original owner.

4. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2013
    SK, Canada
    It would be interesting to know at what point (pardon the pun) that GM ran out of point distributors. My serial # ends with 189769. I don't believe there were a lot made after that number, so I'd imagine the HEI distributors in '74 Camaros were quite rare.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Only one way to find out, do a survey here.

6. CamaroNmotion

Jan 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Pretty sure there was one done a few years back. Try a search in either original drivetrain or 1974 Camaro questions section. I had a friend back in 74 with a new Z28 it was a May build and he had the HEI, don't recall the transmission.

7. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2013
    SK, Canada
    Any chance he kept record of the serial number?

8. CamaroNmotion

Jan 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    No,do not have.