1974 Z28 Opportunity

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by Fuelish, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Fuelish

Fuelish New Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Kansas City
    Good afternoon, Gang-I posted this on camaros.net as well

I'm looking for a little advice-and I'll try to make this as short as I can. A friend of my wifes is recently divorced. She is looking to sell a 1974 Z/28 that she has had since the divorce.

short version of the car:
    Bought by the Husband to be the daughters high school car. At that time (say 1999), they put some dough in to the car, new paint, making sure everything mechanical was good, custom wheels.

As it sits now:
    been sitting outside for approximately 5 years in a driveway. It has a car cover on it, but sitting outside.

-Car has 101K miles
    -Current owner is the second owner, and the car is original except for the exhaust (glasspacks), and an Edelbrock Carb
    -2 hail type dents in the roof
    -There is minor rust in the usual places, however the rear framerails look fairly bad. I need to get a better picture of those-
    -The VIN shows it as a Camaro Z/28 (not LT)
    -The ex husband backed a boat trailer into the drivers quater-but it looks like a fairly easy repair
    -Is currently tagged and insured, but has not been driven in 5 years
    -Front airdam is gone
    -Hate those Ultra Wheels
    -A/C car (obviously), non HEI distributor (has the dual snorkel air cleaner)
    -Turbo 400 and 10 bolt posi (didn't take pics of the tags)

I am going to head back over to put a new battery in it, and run a fuel line into a gas can to see about getting it running-which will obviously mean a lot to the value.

What is the value in rough shape, decent shape, and fully restored? Once I figure out generally what its worth, it'll be on Craigslist / and the Classifieds here and on Camaros.net.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. Fuelish

Fuelish New Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Kansas City
    Sorry-forgot to say THANKS for the advice!

3. Devryn

Devryn Veteran Member

Aug 16, 1999
    AZ
    I'm very likely wrong, but I've liked these cars since I was a teen and sorta followed their value. Totally restored and perfect? I know 74 Z28s are "rare" since 75 and 76 didn't have one, but the big bumper cars are still "less desirable." If it runs right now, I'd say it's a $5K car tops. I don't think restored right now it's worth much over $10K, but things are only worth what someone would pay for them. I say hold onto it for a couple of years and see how it goes.

4. TL73Z28

TL73Z28 Veteran Member

May 19, 2010
    Long Island
    I like to use this website to determine value. To me it seems pretty acuate. http://collectorcarmarket.com/

Collector Car Market Review Value Report
    1974 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z/28 350-245hp (8cyl-4V) AT

#5 1975
    #4 6300
    #3 10825
    #2 15450
    #1 22200

Add:
    4spd manual trans 10%
    Air conditioning 10%
    Power windows 3%
    Deduct:
    Manual steering -5%

5. Devryn

Devryn Veteran Member

Aug 16, 1999
    AZ
    There ya go. A $22,000 car fully restored in #1 perfect condition.

6. Jimmer

Jimmer Veteran Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Green Bay, Wis.
    Just for your info, because it is a z/28, does not mean it can not also be a type lt. They can be one of the same with the options. A Type Lt Z/28.

7. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Did you check the color code .

I rate it fair condition .doesn't appear first rate work to me , more of a bubba restored car paint , and fixer up.....it would take a lot to make it correct

Real professional body work , paint and GM parts could be three times the cost of what you pay for this car.

Find out how much doesn 't work, shame it sat outdoors......no good for old Camaro 2 nd gen ..LOL

A 77 LT sold around here in about a 7.5 of 10 shape.....with four speed I think it was About 7500.00 from a dealers lot....I thought that was a lot for a non z28..... But....second gen cars are practically extinct where I live . But I ve seen less than 10 in 7 years anywhere , including shows.

I d rate thus car about a 5 from what little info I have on a scale of one to ten.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  8. Fuelish

Fuelish New Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Kansas City
    I travel a lot for work, so I haven't been back over there. I'll grab pictures of the frame rail and the firewall tag. I'm going to get it running, then look to get $2,500 for it.

You're absolutely right about the cost to restore. This could be a fun entry level "drive it while you make it nice" car-

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    you don't want to drive it with bad frame rails . your leafspring will be in the trunk in no time .

10. Fuelish

Fuelish New Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I have to see how bad they are. I never got under the car, that was my buddy's job-