1974 taillights anything special?

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by 72'z'steve, Apr 22, 2016.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2000
    waukesha wi usa
    I don't post much anymore [still have my 'z'] but when i dig something out of the barn I question worth saving I ask you guys.Anyway I have a pair of rear taillights I remember removing from a 74 type lt in the 80's.They are molded with sae ap2 74 on the side and sae [11] airst 74 on the top edge.My memory isn't what it used to be but these have rubber gaskets around the edge and rubber gaskets where they attach to the body panel.I seem to recall others using foam gaskets and no weatherstripping or seal around the outer edge.Did they change the "date" as the years moved on? I'm not pimping them or asking for a value-i don't fleabay and am so old school [I have never sent a text and never will]-still listen to 8-tracks but just curious if these are "special" in anyway or are a pair of a million made over a 4 year model run.If so my conscious will be at ease if I toss them.Thanks for the ears- Later Steve!!

2. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    They were the first year , but there always seem to be plenty decent ones on eBay and NOS occasionally pop up still in boxes.

You can see what past sales are on eBay and go from there.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Not special.... Offer them for the price shipping.
    Someone may be able to use them rather than taking space in a land fill.

4. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2000
    waukesha wi usa
    Thats what i thought,just thought they may be different because they were first year,not worth my time at all to mess with,they'll see the bottom of the scrap can.Now the hoarder in me can be at ease that I'm not throwing away something valuable.Thanks for the tips/help Later Steve!

5. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    I sold a set from my 77, driver quality and got $50

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Most of the time it's about finding a buyer. If you don't mind holding on to them listed for a decent price, they would sell. Most of the time people ask too much thinking they are valuable. I have have watching some parts for months and months and not sell, yet they refuse to consider a offer.