1974 Super T-10 markings

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Jeep43, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    My 74Z has the original numbers engine with it and the tranny is supposed to be also. But the tranny has no vin number stamped on it at all. The only stampings are the tranny ID numbers which are correct for a 1974 car (IIRC WB442). Is it possible the car shipped this way with no vin stamp or do I likely have a service replacement tranny in the car???

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    pretty sure they didnt stamp VINs on trannys. you just go by part numbers and date codes. They could have used that transmission on several different cars that year. I have one from a corvette and it doesnt have a VIN.

3. clill

clill Veteran Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Woodland, Ca. US
    My 74 Z with a Muncie has the vin stamp. Get a mirror, it might be stamped on the top.

4. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I had the tranny out and all apart for rebuild. Vin pad was empty. Nothing other than the WB442.....

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The st10 in my 77Z had the vin on it

6. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Transmissions are required to have a VIN derivative stamped on them. It might be a light stamp or a partial. They did that on the line as the part was assigned to the car. If you find the build date it is usually near there.

7. crashent

crashent Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Kenosha, Wi.
    ST-10 trans used in 2nd gen Camaros are VIN stamped on the passenger side at the top of the case, there is a squared off area at the top...

Hope this helps... Crash