1973 speedo jumping

Discussion in 'Gauge Marks' started by z06vette, Mar 3, 2013.

1. z06vette

z06vette Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Shreveport
    Had my cluster out to change board. However now the speedo jumps 5-10 mph with what seems each revolution the cable turns when going slow. Did not do it before. Is the cable not seated in the speedo right or something????

2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Sounds like its not seated, they are a pain in the butt sometimes to get the cable end housing to lock in the clip. It took me 2-3 tries last time I had my cluster out to get the cables seated all the way.
    If it worked correctly before you pulled it out then I would dare to say that is your problem.

3. z06vette

z06vette Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Shreveport
    wow well it clicked but i will try to do it again maybe,

4. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheboro, NC
    +1. Chris hit the nail on the head.
    Of course, there's always Murphy's law, but 99% sure that's the problem ;)

5. JCSilver80

JCSilver80 Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Mobile, AL.
    If it is not a problem with the cable being clipped into the back of the speedo correctly, then what else could it be? We just recently finished the U-14 gauge swap in an 80 sport coupe. I found a 130 speedo on ebay and now that everything is back together, the needle bounces from 0 to 15 when the car is moving slowly, between 5 and 10 mph let's say. 20 or 25 mph on up, the needle is steady. I pulled the cable out of the housing to clean it and sprayed it with WD-40 during the swap. I don't think the cable is the problem, I can disconnect it from the trans and spin it between my thumb and forefinger. It feels very smooth, no resistance and the needle will easily get to the 30-40 range. My son hooked the cable to the back of the speedo, said he could feel it snap in. Could there be an internal problem with the speedo itself? I have no idea what the history of it is.

6. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    cable twisted

Check to make the cable is relaxed before you connect the head.

7. JCSilver80

JCSilver80 Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Mobile, AL.
    Did that already, when I first noticed what is what doing, did some searching here and found posts about the cable being bound up, kinked, needing lubricated or replaced. So when I can disconnect the speedo from the trans, keep it in the same orientation but just move it far enough away to stick my forefinger and thumb in there, spin it and have the needle move as freely as it does....leads me to believe that maybe there is a problem with the gauge itself???

8. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Valdosta,Ga.
    Sounds like the cable needs to be greased.