1973 RS Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by BC'73RS, Sep 20, 2017.

1. BC'73RS

BC'73RS New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Arlington, TX
    I recently picked up a '73 RS that I believe still has the original L65. It's got an oil leak and I thought I had it fixed when I found the dipstick was loose.

I can't get a good look at the back of the motor/heads, but caught this in a video clip. I know i need to fix the valve cover gasket, but this opening is on the backside of the driver's side cylinder head. What size and thread count plug do I need for this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    That looks more like an accessory bolt hole, there shouldn't be oil coming from it. Hard to tell from the picture but I don't see oil in it.

BTW, welcome to NastyZ.

3. BC'73RS

BC'73RS New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Arlington, TX
    If that's the case, then the valve cover gasket could be the rest of the problem then. I wasn't sure if that hole was going all the way through yet or not.

Thanks for the welcome too!

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    These holes on the heads use a 3/8 inch bolt not sure what the thread count is but i do get them at the local ace hardware store.

5. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    Agree with BC'73RS, those are accessory holes on both ends of the head for alternator bolts or brackets, PS brackets etc., and do not go through into the inner engine, at least they shouldn't unless someone drilled it through which would make no sense. You must have a valve cover gasket leaking oil down the head and giving the appearance that it is coming from that hole. I would wipe the head clean then run the engine for about 5 minutes then look to see if the oil is seeping down from the valve cover.