1973 RS LT Z28 4spd Matching Nums

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by secondgenaddict, Jan 5, 2013.

1. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    ZINC PLATING TANK
    Stainless bar for hanging parts
    102_8872.JPG
    An Aquarium air pump and aerator keep the ZINC ACETATE in solution
    102_8874.JPG
    Photo Enlarger timer cuts the power off so not to "overcook" the parts.

102_8965.JPG

Relay cover plating ---

102_8955.JPG

Relay cover Before -
    102_8952.JPG

Re-plated cover cleaned and re-assembled.
    102_9020.JPG
    102_9025.JPG
    Replated dome light bulb terminals -
    102_9028.JPG

2. secondgenaddict

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    Original dated Body panels...
    Passenger Door K50 - 50th week of the year
    102_8891.JPG
    Drivers Door A51 - 51st week
    102_8892.JPG
    Drivers Quarter 51st week
    102_8938.JPG
    Passenger Quarter 50th week
    102_8941.JPG

Undercoating in wheel wells...
    102_8928.JPG
    Light coverage over the inside drops... (front ends were painted on a buck with minimal gaps between panels)
    drivers_fender_drop_overspray.jpg

Passenger side.
    overspray_pass_fender_drop.jpg

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Neat.

I need a better power supply for my zinc plating. What are you using?

For small scale stuff, I have used blasted pennies for zinc anodes. They are 99.5% pure zinc. Drill holes in them and hang on copper wire.

4. secondgenaddict

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    LOL I used an old 6 volt .7 amp DC charger for some random device.
    I am going to the pawn shop this afternoon to try and find a used bench top power supply... then order Potassium Di-chromate from CASWELL I am going to try and do my booster.

5. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
  6. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Love to be able to do my own galvanizing. Hard to find anyone that does this anymore.

7. secondgenaddict

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    HOT DIP GALVANIZING? Where it leaves the crystalline pattern on the part? Like a 67-metal fuel inlet shroud in the trunk?

8. secondgenaddict

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    ZINC PLATES - I had a new 6 volt drycell ($2.79 @WALMART) - the 4 individual cells inside are composed of Manganese Dioxide with a Carbon Electrode in 99% pure ZINC "cans"

The ZINC CANS
    Loosely clamped into the vice then using a utility knife I scored a few times then cut into the side (BOTTOM TO TOP) removed the Manganese Dioxide (trash) and carbon ROD (kept)- pulled the paper out then cut around the circumference of the bottom leaving the "bottom" attached by 3/8-1/2" in the center so it looks like a square with a circle on the top in the center of the square...

I was worried about contaminating my plating solution because the plates have some Manganese on them PLUS the paper sheet which separates the Manganese from the ZINC cans had some adhesive or sticky goo to hold them on the ZINC - I used scotchbrite and lacquer thinner to clean them WELL!

For electrolyte I used Vinegar and Epsom salts with Sugar added, the Sugar helped with the surface finish, makes it LESS GRANULAR - the surface feels much smoother. ( I did not use Sugar the first time)

MY hangers are 304 TIG RODS which I had for TIG - I am changing to COPPER as they seem to work better.
    The rods will also plate, however after done I hang them on the (-) rod while not using and the ZINC dissolves back into the electrolyte.

In this photo you can see the ZINC plate on the right side - I hot glued a clothes pin into the plating tank to hold the plate by the little round end.
    102_8958.JPG

This is a 20 Quart plastic bin from WAL MART -

I cannot stress that CLEANLINESS IS GODLINESS when plating... because if it isn't clean you will cuss the DEVIL trying to plate it.

9. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Yes. Really the only parts I have found that use this are the front brake dust shields. 70's are different than the rest of the second gens (no hemmed edge) so finding NOS ones is near impossible.

10. secondgenaddict

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    Hemmed edge?
    Are you talking about the inside lip where it goes around the spindle?
    The ones on this 73 are original and original finish - they have 3 spot welds attaching the "cup" to the backing plate.

I dug through some other 2nd gen stuff and found one with a rolled over crimped edge holding the cup in place.