1973 rally sport Split bumper crash bar question

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Lynd McCormick, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I'm looking at supposedly a "real" 1973 RS/Z28. I posted a picture online and it was pointed out to me that this 73 does not have the longer crash bar from core support to the fenders and does not have the diagonal ones in front of the core support. These were mandated in 1973 for 5mph crash reasons.

The current elderly owner swears up and down that this is an original RS car that he bought from the original owner, and that it had the original RS nose on it when he bought it. The car has new front fenders on it and I started to wonder if maybe the long bars were missing because the 73 fenders with the long bar holes may not be repopped since they would be one year only. That doesn't however explain why the diagonal ones in front of the core support are missing unless that's a fittment issue too.

Is it correct to say that EVERY 1973 RS/Z28 has these longer crash bars and diagonal ones in front of the core support, NO EXCEPTION? It's still possible that his restorer may have changed a few things during the build. The car had the Norwalk VIN which could make it a Z28 and also has the silver rings in the tail lights as an RS should. I'm told that there's no other way to authenticate a real RS without the build sheet. I'm sure that the build sheet is missing since the car was rotisserie restored 2 years ago and was apart. It's still a great car regardless, but not knowing for sure could effect its value in later years.

I've even looked at some "numbers matching" cars on the net that don't have the long bars. That could just go to those that say there are a lot of fakes out there.

Any advice!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    The rings on the tail lights don't mean it is a RS. I believe that all 73 RS had the crash bars. The front fenders are normal everyday Camaro fenders with a nutsert added for the longer support bars. The radiator core support has several of these nutserts as well. IMG_0930.JPG

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    jim is correct . the Z21 style trim option was NOT part of the rally sport option in 1973 . so a 73 rally sport could be either with or with out inner tail light trim and belt molding . all 73 RS and standard front ends had some sort of impact resistant front and rear . the point was insurance companies were complaining that cars were sustaining more than 500 dollars worth of damage at 5 mph impact .All standard front bumpers had a piece of steel behind it and all RS had the 11 extra supports . it was federal law by January 1 1973 and all camaros were built in the norwood plant and norwood production was very slow before the first of the year . no mater the production number they all had to comply with federal law ..

McCune likes this.
  4. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    Hmmm, the only explanations I can come up with is someone changed the front panel before he got it, or the front was busted up at one point and they put an older front panel on it. He said that he doesn't have the build sheet either.

If I really wanted to make it authentic for the future value, I wonder if anyone ever took the short bars, cut them in the center, and add length to them? That might give me the right end pieces, or at least close enough to tweak to fit. I was told that these aren't repopped and a used set if you could find them, sell for $1-$2k. I'd also need the center braces made too.