1973 dual snorkel

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by slamminc6, Mar 7, 2015.

1. slamminc6

slamminc6 Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Long Island, New york
    Can someone help me with this. Looking into buying a73 z28. First off want to make sure it's real. 5th digit is a T and cowl tag indicates it's a z28. Owner advised me that it was an orig ac car and it came with a 400 trans. It was later converted to a 4spd M21. First off the air cleaner is a dual snorkel, and the ac line is now running behind the motor off of the compressor. Does this look right to you guys or do you think it had something to do with the auto to Manual conversion.
    Also paint is a non optional color for 73, and cowl tag indicates - - which meant a special order. I guess this one was a special order. Also, the grille is not black but rather silver.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    no the 73 Z28 had an open ellement air cleaner .

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    my 73 RS Z28 with air conditioning [​IMG]

4. slamminc6

slamminc6 Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Long Island, New york
    Do you guys think it's a real deal Z

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    The T in the VIN says it is. So does the tag.

6. slamminc6

slamminc6 Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Long Island, New york
    This I know, but what could have happened with the aid cleaner/ac. Should I be worried about this.

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    the body is a Z28 according to the trim tag and the vin . the vin seems to line up with the build date on the trim tag . it a non coded paint car and it had white stripes with black vinyl interior . the ac hose routing is wrong and has a lot of couplings on it for extra leakage . the dual snorkel air cleaner was dropped in 73 as the ac suction hose routing caused interference . the dual snorkel came back in 74 with shorter snorkels . any claims of matching numbers ( i know about the trans swap ) . all the smog stuff is gone and i see an aluminum intake ( incorrect also ) . so is the body a Z28 body , yes .

8. slamminc6

slamminc6 Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Long Island, New york
    Going to find out about the matching numbers. Obviously the tranny is not.
    Does the special pain ode make it a rare Z?
    Also does this carpet look original.
    Also some additional pics, any thing else jump out at you guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    non standard paint cars seem to come up realitively frequently in 73 . most i assume were black . the rumor is that gm would take orders for black camaros and group them together and run them off together . being a Z28 with white stripes and a black interior id say it was black . it looks like a nice reso modded z28 . it seems to be the correct "twist loop " carpet .

10. slamminc6

slamminc6 Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Long Island, New york
    So you don't think it was originally mulsanne blue? Owner says tuxedo black and mulsanne were two special paying colors.