1973 camaro type Lt rs z/28 4-speed matching numbers is it rare because it has all 3 options?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by AJC-67, Jan 16, 2018.

1. AJC-67

AJC-67 New Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Hi Everyone!

I am new to the site because I just got interested in the 70-73 Camaros. I started looking for a project car recently and was told about a 73 split bumper car. I followed the guys directions to look for this car that’s 16 miles from my house. I was able to find the car and get in contact with the owner during that first visit. He wants to sell the car and told me it’s been siting in its current location for 13 years , and had been sitting at the previous location for 19 years and was sitting for 5 years at original owners home in Indiana. ( 37 years Total sitting . ) A guy from my area purchased the car from Indiana and brought the car to my state where it just sat until the current owner purchased it from second owner. The current owner fixed the engine and drove it for a number of years until he parked it where it’s been sitting because he said the rear frame rail on pass side was rusting out and the pass rocker panel had a huge hole in bottom of it. I’m assuming the salt used on the roads in Indiana probably rusted the bottom of the car. The owner wanted 1,000 for it as sits but I have got him to 700.00 and going to take a chance that the car can be saved or parted out to be used on a restoration at worst. I could not see the cowl tag because the hood hinges are rusted and we can’t open the hood very far. I was able to decode the vin number and it came back as being a type LT Rs and z/28 optioned car. I can not find much info on 1973 cars with all three options. I found one car on you tube the the guy said was special ordered with all three options and he called it a holy grail second gen because 73 was best handling year and not many people ordered all three options so he said it was rare. I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if the car is indeed a rare car and worth the money I would have to put into the car to restorer . The car also has a rear defrost unit recessed into the rear speaker deck between the speakers that blows air onto the back glass. I looked into the trunk it has a fan motor and cage with a heating element that heats the air blown onto back window. I have never seen one on a car is it a rare option also? I have to make a decision on the car soon so I wanted to know if the car was collectible or if it was a car worth saving.

2. AJC-67

AJC-67 New Member

Jan 16, 2018
  3. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    I'm just a novice on 70-73 info, but I can tell you at $700 I believe that to be a steal. The front RS components are worth that or double if they are decent. I'd buy it before someone else beats you to it IMO.

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    welcome to the site . the 73 " triple option " camaro is actually a double option . Type LT is a model camaro , not an option . In 73 there were 2 models for camaro , the sport coupe and the type lt . the Type LT with the Z28 option will not have any Z28 emblems on it . all type lt badges with Camaro 350 on the fenders . the vin and the cowl tag will not designate an RS . unfortunately the only real proof of a RS is a build sheet and they are rare in 73 .But in 73 there is another way to tell but not 100% proof positive of the RS option is the support bars that are unique to the 73 RS . the motor looks like a few add ons from what i can see . get the hood open and get a few more picts . when any second gen sits , it's not good for the underside being buried in the dirt . 700 is pretty cheap though and if it holds together getting pulled out of there your in good shape

5. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    What is the first 5 of the VIN?

6. AJC-67

AJC-67 New Member

Jan 16, 2018
  7. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    That is a good start. It is for sure a TypeLT Z28. It would be great if it had the original powertrain. Is it auto or 4 speed, A/C ?

8. AJC-67

AJC-67 New Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Matching numbers everything is there except the heads and original carb . Heads were upgraded to aluminum edelbrock , also has aluminum edelbrock performer intake manifold and Holley 650 double pumper . The original cast iron intake manifold is on the driver seat he told me second owner verified it was original manifold first owner told second owner he pulled it off sold heads and original carb . Everything else matches the current owner says I have not verified yet .

9. AJC-67

AJC-67 New Member

Jan 16, 2018
    It has Muncie 4 -speed , and a/c also has a 12 bolt rear axle . 6,000 rpm redline tach in dash factory gauge

10. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    The 12 bolt isn't original